Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Rought in and cut your own blocks & trim all at once

Votes: 29 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
We were doing a large office, I needed more then 500 tiles cut for speakers, on that job the carpenters where responsible for the cuts, they kept stalling.

The boss told me to grab a helper, start cutting and to do it in a highly visible area. It was not long before the carpenters shop steward was very upset and cried to the GC. We stopped cutting and I had my tiles the next day.:cool:

480sparky

Oh great now all the holes in ceiling tiles are gonna say Made in China.

So, would that make them counterfeit holes?
emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

220/221

If I can get someone else to cut them, I'm going to. Most often it would be me cutting the tiles.

Do recessed cans have to be supprted by slack wires now or is it just lay ins?

Is there a weight limit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We were doing a large office, I needed more then 500 tiles cut for speakers, on that job the carpenters where responsible for the cuts, they kept stalling.

The boss told me to grab a helper, start cutting and to do it in a highly visible area. It was not long before the carpenters shop steward was very upset and cried to the GC. We stopped cutting and I had my tiles the next day.:cool:

I'm sure that Bob's boss didn't include cutting 500 holes in ceiling tiles as part of his bid. Jurisdictional issues aside a few holes we'll cut, but to cut every hole on the job, the ceiling carpenter is getting paid to do that so let him.

ivsenroute

Looks like 2 out of 3 electricians cut their own holes. My guess the difference is commercial vs residential and union vs non-union.

iwire

Staff member
Looks like 2 out of 3 electricians cut their own holes. My guess the difference is commercial vs residential and union vs non-union.

I think that is close but not the whole story

I am a merit shop commercial electrician, if we go to a location to add some items of course we will cut holes. But in new construction often another trade has been paid to do the cuts.

tonyou812

If never been on a job big or small where the carpenters cut the "Holes" for me. Maybe its a Union thing. But with me its not a matter of pride just what is the norm around here. But then again Ive never worked on a massive project like a whole building or something. But many times the ceiling guys arent even on the job when we rough in the lights. How do you get a ceiling inspection without the tile in?

iwire

Staff member
How do you get a ceiling inspection without the tile in?

The grid and all the cut tiles go in for the edges, sprinkler heads, fixtures, boxes, etc. Then we install the fixtures, then inspection, then the ceiling can be closed up.

This pattern is the same on union or non union jobs, we work both.

480sparky

The grid and all the cut tiles go in for the edges, sprinkler heads, fixtures, boxes, etc. Then we install the fixtures, then inspection, then the ceiling can be closed up.

This pattern is the same on union or non union jobs, we work both.

Never goes that way here. All the tiles get installed in one fell swoop. With or without can lights.

quogueelectric

Whoa! how about only doing the work that your paid to do?:mad:

As I said, if circumstances demand it we will cut but if another sub got paid to do it and we did not get paid to do it ....... who should do it?

I cant believe we agree completely in the new year. The carpenters are always trying to push any work they can on you. I NEVER do any work I am not getting paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.