Dry type transformers in classified areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Eaton makes a dry type transformer specifically for CID2 locations - which seems to be consistent with section 500.8(B). However, I don't see why a general purpose transformer (80 Degree C rise along with 40 Degree C ambient) wouldn't be acceptable as long as its below the AIT of the surrounding vapors. Since there's no heat factor, arcing device or rotating equipment, what would be the risk of installing a GP transformer, Nema 3R in a Class I Division 2, Groups C&D location?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Eaton makes a dry type transformer specifically for CID2 locations - which seems to be consistent with section 500.8(B). However, I don't see why a general purpose transformer (80 Degree C rise along with 40 Degree C ambient) wouldn't be acceptable as long as its below the AIT of the surrounding vapors. Since there's no heat factor, arcing device or rotating equipment, what would be the risk of installing a GP transformer, Nema 3R in a Class I Division 2, Groups C&D location?
Nothing. [See Sections 501.100(B) and 500.8(C)(6)(a)] Marking general purpose equipment that would be acceptable in Class I, Division 2, specifically for Division 2 is a marketing ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.