dry type transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
110418-1011 EDT

Fundamentally it is a temperature problem.

Use higher temperature wire and it could be slightly smaller. Use cooling of a standard transformer and it could be somewhat smaller. Use a low loss core with high temperature wire and it can be slightly smaller.

What is smaller worth? What is your application and power level?

Does this supply a rectifier and filter to produce DC? In this application a much smaller and lighter system can be obtained by converting to a high frequency.

iwire

Staff member

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think transformers have gotten larger and heavier since most states have adopted some form of the International Energy Code, or something similar.

There is a paragraph in there about transformers having to meet some standard for energy efficency.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I think transformers have gotten larger and heavier since most states have adopted some form of the International Energy Code, or something similar.

There is a paragraph in there about transformers having to meet some standard for energy efficency.

It is a federal law.
Public Law 109-58 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 which went into effect in Jan 2007.

Transformers that meet these criteria are called TP-1 design, after the NEMA guidelines, are designed to be most efficient when based on a 24hr average loading of only 35%.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It is a federal law.
Public Law 109-58 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 which went into effect in Jan 2007.

Transformers that meet these criteria are called TP-1 design, after the NEMA guidelines, are designed to be most efficient when based on a 24hr average loading of only 35%.

Thanks Jim, I couldn't remember for sure if it was TP-1, and I didn't bother to look it up.

I had forgot it was a federal law, and not the State Energy Codes (although I think they might restate the same requirement.)

Status
Not open for further replies.