Dryer Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Anybody ever run across this? Dryer circuit with 10-2 w/g NM. House built probably mid 70's. Got by rough inspection I guess.
resize3.jpg

bradleyelectric

yeah, we used to get by all the roughs like that till maybe 1992. It was normal way to wire a dryer. That is why you can still buy 3 wire dryer cords. For existing homes with a 3 wire plug. You can buy the plugs to replace a broken plug. Notice we didn't have to color the white wire black or red because it was a hot leg. It was assumed that you knew what you were doing if you were working on electrical work.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
electricman2 said:
Anybody ever run across this? Dryer circuit with 10-2 w/g NM. House built probably mid 70's. Got by rough inspection I guess.
resize3.jpg

Quite a common sight in my area. It seems this installation passed in alot of areas.

Chris

220/221

I see it often along with 8-2 NM for ranges.

Now that work has been slowing down I would tell them it's a hazard and run a new circuit :D

C3PO

I am not sure I see the problem you are referring to. Besides not labeling the white wire. :-?

If it is the three wire wasn't that permitted until the 1996 NEC?

Or I may be overlooking something. I can't make out the picture very well.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The oldest Code I have handy is 1990 and the requirement then was an INSULATED grounded conductor unless SE cable was used.
I realize that requirement was often over-looked, but the 10/2 wg would have been a violation in 1990.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricman2 said:

Heck I have done that years ago. 30 years ago my boss said it was okay to do so not knowing any better I did it.

Mea Cupa

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
This is very dangerous, and makes backfeeding a genset through the dryer receptacle all the more dangerous.
Okay, so when is that not dangerous? When is a double-plug-ended cord okay?

quogueelectric

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
This is very dangerous, and makes backfeeding a genset through the dryer receptacle all the more dangerous.
I know you dont mean male/male we are here to learn more ways to skin the same cat we are cat skinners at best.

iwire

Staff member
electricman2 said:

Quite often and I installed many like that myself before I knew better.

Still not sure why that is wrong but if it was SE it would be OK. :-?

480sparky

hardworkingstiff said:
In the 70's in the Tidewater, VA area, 10/2 w/grd NM was not allowed but 8/3 SE (AL.) was allowed. I never understood the difference.

In the 10/2, the bare ground wire was used for the neutral. In the 8/3, the neutral would have been covered/insulated.

220/221

In the 10/2, the bare ground wire was used for the neutral. In the 8/3, the neutral would have been covered/insulated.

I'm thinking he meant 8/2. I haven't seen 3 wire SE....but I have led a sheltered life.

Status
Not open for further replies.