dryer outlets for bands in bars, and why you shouldnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not a bad idea, but not all that well executed.

I might have made such a thing with the outlet boxes just bolted to the sides of the breaker panel, and some smaller meters mounted through the door of the breaker panel. Much more compact and robust. maybe but a handle on the top for ease of carrying.

480sparky

I've actually built similar things for framers and trim carpenters. I use a 50a range cord, though, and when I rough in a house, I have both a 50a 4-wire recep in the panel and at the range location. I have a custom-made panel cover for temp power. I just cut a 'handle' into the top of the plywood, and use GFI breakers for Code compliance.

220/221

I have seen band power tapped with alligator clips, from main lugs, no panel cover, in the bathroom hallway.

Alfalfa's in Albuquerque NM, 1979

Good times.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
220/221 said:
I have seen band power tapped with alligator clips, from main lugs, no panel cover, in the bathroom hallway.
I've seen floor guys clip directly onto meter terminals for sanding machines.

electricalperson

how about instead of using a dryer receptacle jsut install a bunch of receptacles and circuits. most venues i go too have receptacles on the back wall for all the equipment. for a normal size band all you basically need is 2 or 3 circuits for the guitar amps bass amps and other amplifier equipment if theres other instruments. usually the PA equipment is either located in the back of the club or on the side

electricalperson

another thing. check your fire codes they might require that stuff to be turned off when the fire alarm goes into alarm operation. usually a shunt trip feeding a sub panel for the stage works

220/221

I built a stage lighting controller back in the 70's. I had a dozen relays in a 12x12 jb, all wired to individual outlets installed on the side of said box (2, 1" ko's if I remember correctly) The relays were controlled via low voltage cable run back by the mixer board. I was really proud :cool:

Each set of stage lights had cord drops with cord caps that would plug into the control box. For a reason that I cannot remember, the neutrals were all tied together at the light bars :confused:

I didn't take into account a possible reversed polarity situation. I was setting up the lights, plugged in one light and got absolutey DRILLED by a cord cap prong of another one.

Mr.Sparkle

I spent 5 or so years playing all over the northeast with a band and I have to admit this contraption is probably safer than half the stuff we plugged into during that time, looking back I really wish I took pictures of some of the contraptions I have seen and unfortunately had to use......nothing quite like having your hand on your guitar strings and getting hit with god knows what on the lip when your face touches the mic. It sucks and has happened numerous times.

wawireguy

I don't see a problem with me as a electrician installing a "dryer" receptacle where the customer dictates. I won't be involved with the building of that mobile contraption though or whatever is plugging in to it.

480sparky

wawireguy said:
I don't see a problem with me as a electrician installing a "dryer" receptacle where the customer dictates. I won't be involved with the building of that mobile contraption though or whatever is plugging in to it.

For that matter, it's not really a 'dryer' receptacle. It's a NEMA 14-30R.

Status
Not open for further replies.