Drywall patching

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

let's say you have to open up a wall for whatever reason. Are you doing the patchwork or telling the HO they have to figure it out?

kwired

Electron manager
Removed a couple recessed 1x4 fluorescents in a place recently, during that extreme cold snap we had, told owners I'd place drywall in the hole if they wanted for the sake of closing the hole but they need to figure out how to finish it or get someone else to. No way I'm attempting to match the texture that had to be matched.

Buck Parrish

On individual jobs for home owners .I put a piece of sheet rock back in the hole some times even mud and tape. But I never sand it or attempt to match it.
Especially on panel change outs. It just looks like a big mess if you don't cover the holes

If I'm working for a contractor or a bigger job. I let them handle it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Other than texture, I do all my own drywall work and repair, as long as the customer knows how much it will cost, and how many trips it will take. I usually only end up doing the first mud'n'taping, unless the job is more than one day. Powdered mix dries extremely quickly.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I recently had to remove a section of drywall about 4ft by 2ft. to repair a receptacle and switch circuit. Before I began I told the homeowner that he would have to have someone make the repairs. He asked if I had a recommendation. I gave him the name and number of a man whom I knew who did good work. Turned out really well, HO was well pleased with result.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I do my own up to paint and prime depending on job. Had a job to add receptacle and cabling for a TV over fireplace. Made a 6” cutout across studs to stud bay with power and cable box below.
Added an extra conduit just in case. Patched all that and got it ready myself.

I had a kitchen remodel that HO wanted a lot of electrical changes. Easier to rip all the Sheetrock from the ceilings and walls in the entire area than to patch it. also made it easy to add insulation.
Hired a crew to hang and finish for that job.

Haven’t done any though in a while. Like others here I’m either not answering the phone or just saying no trying to quit..
Still have my POCO job, (looking at retiring there also) don’t need or want a second job.

Easier to rip all the Sheetrock from the ceilings and walls in the entire area than to patch it.

So many people are clueless on this. I just looked at a whole house rewire. This one room has a third of the ceiling drywall completely ripped out, then a bunch of other holes on the remaining side side. I made some comment to the owner when we were doing the walk through about just ripping the rest of it down. He said, "no, they'll patch it in....." (n)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on my mood, my time frame, size of patching, why there's damage in the first place, etc.

99.5% of my work has zero damage. That's actually one of my selling points - me and damage, we don't show up on the same jobs. But when there is....

I patch using 5-minute mud (dry mix) so there's no problem to put 3 coats on in one hour. I also finish drywall well enough that there's no sanding until the end, and then just a light buff. Texture matching is no biggie for me. I can get matching paint, too

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
99.5% of my work has zero damage. That's actually one of my selling points - me and damage, we don't show up on the same jobs. But when there is....
Same here. I've fished wiring where other electricians have said it couldn't be done.

I've even had a potential customer who didn't like my price call later to ask how I would have done it to tell another electrician.

I gave them a price (a 'consultation fee') to tell them, and they declined that one, too.

Same here. I've fished wiring where other electricians have said it couldn't be done.

I've even had a potential customer who didn't like my price call later to ask how I would have done it to tell another electrician.

I gave them a price (a 'consultation fee') to tell them, and they declined that one, too.
Yeah me too. I pride myself on the "zero patch rewire". A rewire is, in particular, one of those things you dont want to go by price alone. I will do a very nice job with minimal or no patching, use smart boxes screwed to the studs in most cases instead of flimsy old work boxes that are hanging on to a loose piece of lath for dear life, fan rated ceiling boxes, etc. My friend an I joke (actually its not really a joke) that most electricians go in and start cutting holes in the wall with a sawzall with no shoe and a 12" worn out blade! :cry:. They make a mess and do a crappy job.😾

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think a lot us here pride ourselves on doing our best. (I also have a personal thing about running raceway inside or outside when it could be fished) but I try give the customer options. I never make promises that there will be no holes. I typically patch any hole made with drywall nail plate if needed, tape and one coat of joint compound. It looks more professional than leaving them with a hole in the ceiling or wall.
It also helps move the project along for when the painter shows up.
If there is a GC on the job I will typically leave it them.

ritelec

All purpose spackle with pastor of paris added (customer with cracked old plaster was having venetian plaster done through out her house. The cracks were prepped with the spackle and plaster of paris. Looks very good 15 years later)

I also try not to cut and patch.
If cutting is necessary, I will patch but try not to spackle anymore. But sometimes I'll spackle .... depends.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I will usually fill the hole with drywall and put on the first coat of mud just so the hole is filled. I hate cutting holes but sometimes you have to. I just did a kitchen rewire in a raised ranch. Most all the circuits came down from the attic which the customer just had 18" of insulation blow in two weeks before I started (just my luck).

I had to get a few new cables down from the attic. With the roof pitch they had you can't barely reach the top plate no way to drill it, plus you get the roof shingle nails sticking in your head. I had to drill from the bottom up with an angle drill attachment and cut some holes in the drywall.

Couldn't use a Dversabit with the kitchen counter

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I had to get a few new cables down from the attic. With the roof pitch they had you can't barely reach the top plate no way to drill it, plus you get the roof shingle nails sticking in your head.

Been there a couple of times laying in blown in cellulose or fiberglass with the nails in the head. It’s amazing we aren’t all blowing a lung out with all the attic crap we’ve inhaled..
I think rock wool was the worst..

Status
Not open for further replies.