DSL works but no phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

My brother called me the other day, here's the problem. He has one POTS line at his house and DSL. There are four phone jacks in the house, all homeruns to the NID. He has a dial tone at the test jack in the NID but none of the phone jacks in the house. Strangely enough his DSL continues to work in bedroom #2 phone jack but no dial tone at bedroom #2 jack or any of the others. Everything has worked fine until a few days ago and he has not done anything recently that would have disturbed any of the wiring. Any ideas?:confused:

Electric-Light

My brother called me the other day, here's the problem. He has one POTS line at his house and DSL. There are four phone jacks in the house, all homeruns to the NID. He has a dial tone at the test jack in the NID but none of the phone jacks in the house. Strangely enough his DSL continues to work in bedroom #2 phone jack but no dial tone at bedroom #2 jack or any of the others. Everything has worked fine until a few days ago and he has not done anything recently that would have disturbed any of the wiring. Any ideas?:confused:

Check for shorts. The little "dongle" you place between each jack and phone is a low-pass filter. You could short it out downstream(like phone cord cinched under a furniture) of the low-pass filter and it will take out the POTS for the entire circuit, but DSL will continue to work.

Unplug EVERYTHING and plug in a phone into one jack and see if it works. If it does, you have a faulty phone or damaged cord somewhere.

If not, disconnect house at the NID. Measure the resistance between two wires going to the house. It should be close to infinity.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I had this same problem. It was the small jumper in the exterior network interface. When you plugged directly into the jack at the interface you got a dial tone, but when I connected to the terminals that my interior wiring connects to the house, there was no dial tone. There were unused ports on the network interface so I just moved the line to another port.

stevebea

Check for shorts. The little "dongle" you place between each jack and phone is a low-pass filter. You could short it out downstream(like phone cord cinched under a furniture) of the low-pass filter and it will take out the POTS for the entire circuit, but DSL will continue to work.

Unplug EVERYTHING and plug in a phone into one jack and see if it works. If it does, you have a faulty phone or damaged cord somewhere.

If not, disconnect house at the NID. Measure the resistance between two wires going to the house. It should be close to infinity.

Found the problem this evening. It was a short between the NID and the phone jack in the basement family room. I disconnected that home run now the rest of the phones work.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.