Duct Detectors; 06 or 06A?

Skybax

New User
Occupation
Low Voltage Trainee
I’ve been trying to find the answer to this for a while now. In Washington state, under which license does the installation and inspection of Duct Detector units fall under an 06 low voltage license or an 06A hvac specialty license? And do you know the code to back your answer?

As far as I know, duct detectors can be either inside or outside of hvac units, and be either low or high voltage. Anyone can do a “visual inspection” of the unit, but what license is required to actually test the functionality of the device?

Thanks in advance for any answers that I can send to my boss lol

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
A 6 should be able to and a 6a should aswell so long as it's within its purview. The 06a does have some extra area to work with that an 06 can't but when it comes to low volt the 06 has much more wiggle room. If you're really worried just get an 01 guy to run it and don't worry. Only 06a guys I know are hvac guys only not electricians and all the 06 guys I know are internet guys who I wouldn't trust to do hvac controls. I know one 06 who does FA and he I would trust with anything but he's the exception.

Paul_Briganti

Washington Electrical CEU, LLC
Occupation
Educator / VP Electrical Apprenticeship ABC Western Washington
Good morning all,

I may be late to the party here...

It would be my understanding that the duct detectors are fire alarm components if connected to a fire alarm system. If this is the case, I would say a 06 or a 01 would need to wire and complete the installation.

If the duct detector solely supports the operation of the HVAC system [No fire alarm connection], then a 06A could wire and perform the
installation.

The relevant code references would be

296-46B-920(2)(v) - 06A
and
296-46B-920(2)(e) - 06

I could defend either position based on the installation.

As to testing, the same positions would apply based on the installation parameters.

Paul