Dude struck by lightning, blames iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.
this isn't fair

My post you pulled about the guy poking his head out of the porta potty was a relavant to the forum as this.......

"There's an old saying in Tennessee ? I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ? that says, fool me once, shame on ? shame on you. Fool me ? you can't get fooled again."
GWB

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually, I can see lightning hating Metalica, and understandably so, :D but I just think it was an attempt by nature to weed out another stupid person walking around in a lightning storm. :rolleyes:

What an idiot!

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
77401 said:
this isn't fair

My post you pulled about the guy poking his head out of the porta potty was a relavant to the forum as this.......

"There's an old saying in Tennessee ? I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ? that says, fool me once, shame on ? shame on you. Fool me ? you can't get fooled again."
GWB

Do a forum search and I think you find "lightning" discussed allot more than people hiding in the tanks of "porta potty's". :rolleyes:

After your search post the results here so we can compare the numbers. :D

Roger

iwire

Staff member
77401 said:
this isn't fair

Well actually we talk about lightning, electrical shocks, burns etc. here all the time.

We do not talk about pota pottys to often.

I posted this looking for opinions from people here who are into lightning (like BPHGravity for instance) if they thought the iPod made any difference at all.

I did not see any electrical issues raised with your Pota Potty thread.

Bob

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:
Well actually we talk about lightning, electrical shocks, burns etc. here all the time.

We do not talk about pota pottys to often.

I posted this looking for opinions from people here who are into lightning (like BPHGravity for instance) if they thought the iPod made any difference at all.

I did not see any electrical issues raised with your Pota Potty thread.

Bob

I wonder what would happen to someone in a porta potty that got a lightning strike.

Is a porta potty a safe place to take shelter in a T-storm?

hillbilly

petersonra said:
I wonder what would happen to someone in a porta potty that got a lightning strike.

Is a porta potty a safe place to take shelter in a T-storm?

I would think so, especially if it scared the crap out of you.
steve

bphgravity

I agree with the comments of the "expert" in the story. There is really no significant aspect of a structure or object that will make it more likely to be struck by lightning other than height. The magic number appears to be 75 feet. Any object under 75 tall is as likely to be struck by lightning as any other object regardless if the object is metallic, non-metallic, moving, stationary, pointy, blunt, massive, or tiny.

Once above 75 feet, the specific aspects of the objects dimensions and materials change its risk category.

Once and object (person) is randomly struck, then the particular aspect of the object may indicate the damage or effects of the strike. It is conceivable that headphones would increase the possibility of burns and injuries to the ear and head region verses someone without conductors hanging out of their ears.

realolman

Is it code to install a breaker panel in a porta potty if it's 4 ft. square and hooked onto my house as a guest room? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.