Dummy of Month Award:

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

My computer was acting flakier than usual, and I was about to call a computer geek to straighten it out. Then I noticed a carelessly placed file folder pressing on the escape key! Live and Learn!

I won't live long enough to learn it all though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't feel bad rattus, I have been waiting for the Bellsouth rep to fax me my paper work for the directory assistance book. She finally calls me after an hour and says the fax won't go thru. I made her check the number and it was correct.

She tried again and after about another1/2 hour it finally came through. She called to make sure and then confessed that she was trying to fax me the papers on the copy machine. The copy machine started printing tons of pages.

I think she beats you for the dummy of the month award

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Similar here, too.

I have a cordless keyboard and mouse, and since the mouse goes through batteries faster, I keep a cheapie PS-2 mouse plugged in in case I'm in the middle of something when the mouse stops working.

Once in a while, I have to move whatever is pressing on one of the corded mouse's buttons. And, naturally, the longer the batteries last, the deeper the corded mouse gets buried on (or under) my desk.

I have 3 different computers on my desk, with 6 different screens, they are almost always all on at the same time. Sometimes I will use the wrong mouse for the screen I am looking at or I will type something looking at the wrong screen or something similar to that and cannot understand why it is not working :-? :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mdshunk said:
I've done a similar thing, with my dinner plate pressing on the space bar. :rolleyes:

You eat dinner at the computer? For Christ sakes man, get a life! Oh, you've got one. Your a responsible electrician.

mdshunk

chris kennedy said:
You eat dinner at the computer? For Christ sakes man, get a life! Oh, you've got one. Your a responsible electrician.
I'd like to think of it as "multi-tasking". I can also walk, chew gum, pat my head, and rub my belly... all at the same time.

hardworkingstiff

Pierre C Belarge said:
I have 3 different computers on my desk, with 6 different screens, they are almost always all on at the same time. Sometimes I will use the wrong mouse for the screen I am looking at or I will type something looking at the wrong screen or something similar to that and cannot understand why it is not working :-? :grin:

Must be a pretty big desk. I am curious, why so many? Couldn't a PC with a couple of gigs of memory keep all those apps running?

hardworkingstiff said:
Must be a pretty big desk. I am curious, why so many? Couldn't a PC with a couple of gigs of memory keep all those apps running?

I am in the process of putting together some info and getting my website up. All of the computers are on the same server and are linked in that fashion. With the different computers, I have 2 large screens per computer. I can open up a lot of different sites and do research and downloading a lot more efficiently - and I can post here while doing all of this :cool: . My web guy had a similar setup and it was neat how he did his work. My site will be very involved and I hope to have it up soon.

Dave_PE

One of the partners handed our receptionist a CD from a client and asker her to "burn me a copy." After about 10 minutes, she came in to my office and asked me for some help.....I asked her what kind of problems she was having and she showed me a stack of about 10 sheets of paper and said this is as light as I can get the copy machine to make it, but you still can't read the label. :confused:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Dave_PE said:
One of the partners handed our receptionist a CD from a client and asker her to "burn me a copy." After about 10 minutes, she came in to my office and asked me for some help.....I asked her what kind of problems she was having and she showed me a stack of about 10 sheets of paper and said this is as light as I can get the copy machine to make it, but you still can't read the label. :confused:

So she must be cute or family.

Try this one out, while tring to locate a part for a machine I had found a company that claimed to have what I needed. I had requested them to e-mail me a quote and pictures to insure we weren't wasting our time. I had passed along my e-mail adress and stated the last portion of the adress was one word. After several hours of waiting I had contacted this person agian let him know I hadn't recieved the e-mail, he claims he had sent it and would try agian. This circle went on for another hour finally I called him back agian asking him to tell me where he was sending it. He had told me the adress but I noticed he had take the my instruction to the "T" and added the statement "one word". after laughing I told him to take "one word" out and resend it. His next question was which one. I then told him to "step away from computer".

LHarrington

MIEngineer

My wife and I both have cordless mouses (mice, meeses?) on different computers in the same room. One time my mouse strated flaking out, moving on it own. I'd tell her about it she'd look over and it stopped. She turned away and it moved again. This went on a couple of more times. Come to find out her mouse was on the same frequency as mine. DUH!

ryan_618

I run four monitors on my desktop. I use a 24" LCD as my primary (which really acts sa two monitors since it is so big), I use two 19" CRT and one 17" CRT.

I'll have to upload a picture, its pretty wild.

Often when I am editing things, I use all four monitors at once so I can use 5 different document at the same time, without having to hit ALT+TAB to cycle between them. :)

ryan_618 said:
I run four monitors on my desktop. I use a 24" LCD as my primary (which really acts sa two monitors since it is so big), I use two 19" CRT and one 17" CRT.

I'll have to upload a picture, its pretty wild.

Often when I am editing things, I use all four monitors at once so I can use 5 different document at the same time, without having to hit ALT+TAB to cycle between them. :)

Ryan
Thanks for showing them that I am not the only nut. :wink: :cool:

ryan_618

There are the only pictures I have of my desktop. When these were taken, I had been editing one of Mike's books for about 8 hours, so my hair is a bit strange, and I have a funky "I'm ready for bed" look. :D

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.