Duplex vs Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
As part of an expansion into adjacent office space, I furnished the client with a print marked for each data plate location. I also recommended that each computer location have a quad outlet there. ("There are always more things to plug in than receptacles...")

This provoked a discussion between the architect, building reps, & contractors, re: does spec'ing a quad vs. a duplex increase the required number of circuits. Their consensus was "We need to ask the EE we weren't going to hire..." {Not really, but close. They'd assumed there were enough outlets already....}

As the only part of Good Book I ever studied was Article 500; I ask what saith the Brane Trust here?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(I) Receptacle Outlets. Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. But what is the definition of "yoke" here? I'd think it was the metal bar fastened to top & bottom of the box with 6-32 screws. Or does it refer to the duplex or quad box?

{Unless it's one about the string that walks into the tavern and asks for....no wait, I have that wrong....}

This may be mooted by the fact each quad will be supporting a computer, display, and a laser printer. I'm estimating the printers at 500 watts each alone.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes a yoke is the metal bar that supports and secures the device in the box.
If you had three receptacle outlets on one yoke (e.g. the old Despard devices), that would be only 180.

J.P.

It gets worse if you figure the ups's and powerstrips that typically get plugged in at a desk. Then the 1500watt heater that all women must have to keep their little tootsies warm.

If left to my own devices I will put one circuit per office.

Overkill? maybe

J.P.

Office.....as in one person one desk. Not a whole office building, but I'm not stopping you:)

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a heater under a desk, unfortunately it was separate from the printer. Go figure?

I usually advise people to use ups/battery backup for their computers and phones. In my neck of the woods we get some flickers for whatever reason.

mtfallsmikey

I cringed when our new tenants in one of my buildings allowed heaters, but the boss said ok. One circuit per office is a dream, as one HVAC VAV box per office is.

Status
Not open for further replies.