Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree.

Another question, how does one know if the 125% in listed on the nametag rating?
I may have been wrong about the 125% being included in nameplate.

Read 422.10.

I think any nameplate rating will be 100% of the rating of the appliance.

I kind of had airconditioning equipment clouding my mind a little. Nameplates on those does include 125% in the "minimum circuit ampacity" that is marked on them.

An appliance that comes with a cord and plug should work on a circuit with a rating that matches the rating of the cord and plug.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I may have been wrong about the 125% being included in nameplate.

Read 422.10.

I think any nameplate rating will be 100% of the rating of the appliance.

I kind of had airconditioning equipment clouding my mind a little. Nameplates on those does include 125% in the "minimum circuit ampacity" that is marked on them.

An appliance that comes with a cord and plug should work on a circuit with a rating that matches the rating of the cord and plug.

I agree the nameplate does not include 125% unless it states minimum circuit ampacity-- in that case it probably would.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
On a listed appliance like that the 125% (if necessary) is accounted for in the nameplate rating.

But those you mention are not continuous loads - unless it has a possible cycle that will last for three hours or more - just not seen in typical household versions anyway.

Kwire,
You have mentioned "three hours" a couple of times. No where in motors under continuous duty is the terms "three hour" mentioned. That is for continuous load. Motors that are rated as continuous duty are for an indefinite amount (under load) of time

kwired

Electron manager
Kwire,
You have mentioned "three hours" a couple of times. No where in motors under continuous duty is the terms "three hour" mentioned. That is for continuous load. Motors that are rated as continuous duty are for an indefinite amount (under load) of time

You have a point. They are rated for use at full voltage, speed, load, for an indefinite amount of time.

They are not necessarily designed for frequent starting at any voltage, speed, or loading.

They may also have a service factor allowing them to operate above full load rating for a certain amount of time.

Motors with a "duty cycle" usually includes how much load is allowed for a certain time period, as well as how long of a "cool down" period is required.

I will also add for any motor - when determining minimum size conductors necessary, the possible temp rise of the motor is not a direct concern, the temp rise of the conductor is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.