Dustproof Connectors and couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If talking about a dust that makes a class 2 hazardous location, more info is needed. Otherwise yes they keep dust out reasonably well.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It's a food prep area. This is flour.

I don't recall there is any NEC requirement for dust proof anything in a food prep area.

So we would have to go back to who is asking for it to be dust tight and what standard they would accept as being adequately dust tight. I looked up a few via Google real quick and the ones I looked at claimed to be "concrete tight" but none said anything about "dust tight" or "dust proof".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
502.10(B)(1)(2) permits the use of EMT in Class II, Division 2 locations and does not restrict the type of couplings or connectors used with the EMT.

kwired

Electron manager
Food prep as in at a bakery or restaurant food prep area probably is not going to be hazardous location. Might be considered a wet location if washed down frequently.

If in a flour mill or other processing facility where the dust is frequently airborne, it could be a hazardous location.

If you put compression fittings into standard NEMA 1 cabinets and boxes you will still get the dust into the enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.