Dwelling receptacle outlet height

jtracy

Occupation
Low votlage
Ive been looking in 210.50 & .52 for where the NEC defines the minimum height for an outlet receptacle and can’t seem to find it. It covers other items like the 6’ rule. I just want to know what is the code height for an outlet receptacle on a wall in a dwelling and height for a switch receptacle.

Thanks !

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ive been looking in 210.50 & .52 for where the NEC defines the minimum height for an outlet receptacle and can’t seem to find it. It covers other items like the 6’ rule. I just want to know what is the code height for an outlet receptacle on a wall in a dwelling and height for a switch receptacle.

Thanks !
There is a maximum height of 5.5' if you want the receptacle to count as part of the 6'/12' spacing requirement. There is no minimum. Lately on high end homes people want them installed in the base molding like they did 100 years ago.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
If you’re in California it’s now required to have receptacles no lower than 15” to the top, and switches must be no higher than 48”.

That’s a building code requirement, that they added to the California electrical code.
I would think that would be to apply to ADA requirements in Annex J. In addressing receptacles, the code book mandates floor receptacles to be installed within 18" of the wall to qualify as wall outlets. 210.5A(3)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you’re in California it’s now required to have receptacles no lower than 15” to the top, and switches must be no higher than 48”.

That’s a building code requirement, that they added to the California electrical code.
The minimum height is 15" from finished floor to the bottom. For rough we use 20" from sub floor to top of box. Same a commercial work has been for many years.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was thinking that same thing. I have a receptacle at about 12" on my deck with the old metal flip cover and I curse that thing every time I have to get down on a knee to plug something in.
That's funny because yesterday a friend had to have a GFCI replaced at the same exact height with a horizontal flip cover. I acted like it was no big deal but it was a royal PITA

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I like whatever my hammer height is! :cool:
YES!!!! This was my go to height too, I bought several Irwin framing hammers so my guys would all install at the same height. I have heard guys here cutting the hammer handles down to a specific length too.
The California requirement is for "aging in place". I wouldn't be surprised if other states start adopting this too.

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
There is a maximum height of 5.5' if you want the receptacle to count as part of the 6'/12' spacing requirement. There is no minimum. Lately on high end homes people want them installed in the base molding like they did 100 years ago.
what code section is the 5.5 rule?