Dwelling receptacle outlet height

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
My 150 year old stone house in NJ had baseboard outlets. 2 prong, no ground. Updating would have been simple-- pry the baseboard loose, upgrade the wires/boxes/outlets, re-attach. No messing with the walls!
You still have to crawl along the floor to plug something in.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was thinking that same thing. I have a receptacle at about 12" on my deck with the old metal flip cover and I curse that thing every time I have to get down on a knee to plug something in.
I have 100% the same thing, and I’M the jerk that installed them!

My younger self wasn’t very considerate of my future self… I want to go back in time and slap him…

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
In my shop, I put the receptacles at 48 inches to the top of the box. The idea was also to make it easier to drywall.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
If you’re in California it’s now required to have receptacles no lower than 15” to the top, and switches must be no higher than 48”.

That’s a building code requirement, that they added to the California electrical code.
I would think that would be to apply to ADA requirements in Annex J. In addressing receptacles, the code book mandates floor receptacles to be installed within 18" of the wall to qualify as wall outlets. 210.5A(3)
Specifically, it's a new Residential Code requirement added for "Aging-In-Place Design and Fall Prevention". I'll add a link if you're interested in reading further but the basics are: Reinforcement for grab bars (blocking in the wall), outlet and switch placement, 32" minimum clear door width for at least one bedroom and one bathroom on the entry level, and doorbell buttons. I also hear that there is motion towards including this into the model codes.

Attachments

• 2022-California-Residential-Code-Part-2.5-Errata-eff.-July-2024_COMPLETE (1).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is a maximum height of 5.5' if you want the receptacle to count as part of the 6'/12' spacing requirement. There is no minimum. Lately on high end homes people want them installed in the base molding like they did 100 years ago.
Yup. I have done it on a couple of jobs, not counting the many in old Victorians so the all match.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My previous worker is now on his own and he just got turned down for installing a wp cover in the horizontal position so that the door opened from left to right or horizontally. The inspector failed him which made him call me. He used those Taymac covers that he didn't even know that they were compliant in either horizontal or vertical positions. These covers are the accordion style. He showed the inspector that they were suitable in either postion and he won that case.

The reason I brought this up is because it makes the cover install on a horizontal receptacle much easier

1726008197125.png