east and west solar modules strings using optimizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hello dear thanks for reading this post
can we strings east and west solar in one strings using power optimizers?
Thanks
If the inverter is SolarEdge, then yes. The term "optimizer" is often thrown around to mean different things, so I will not comment on them in general.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
Generally, PV modules in a string must be oriented in the same direction and also ideally not have widely different shading probabilities, although the bypass diodes can help some with shading issues. Optimizers in a string can generally be installed with their associated sets of module in different orientations and with widely different shading probabilities. Strings of either can generally be connected in parallel without any issues. This is the reason optimizers exist, they prevent the wide current operating range of modules in different orientations from impacting each other and different shading scenarios from effecting each other. so don't mix an east facing module with a west facing module behind the same optimizer and you will be fine.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
thanks for your reply
can i know why solar edge support it and not others?
I didn't say that. The term "optimizer" is sometimes generally applied to boxes that go in line between modules and inverters, and they may or may not do DC to DC conversion with their own MPPT function as SolarEdge optimizers do. SolarEdge optimizers support modules in a string with different orientations, but they are the only true optimizers I have experience with; I cannot speak about other ones. Some SolarEdge optimizers, i.e., the P1101, can connect to two modules in series; in that case the two connected modules must be in the same orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.