Eaton circuit breakers

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Looks like the only Siemens double pole GFCI circuit breaker I could find was a QPF. Sometimes advertised as QF.

I just got a document from Siemens stating which one of their breakers are interchangeable with certain old school panels. I've attached this document as well as the picture of the specification sticker on the old Murray panel.

Again, it looks like the only double pole GFCI breaker that Siemens produces is a QPF.

Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated 😀.

Both files were too big so I'm going to post another picture on my next post

Attachments

• Compatible with Murray.pdf
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 6

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Will not let me upload the picture of the specifications sticker.
If anyone wants to PM me with their email, I could send it to them hopefully 😀

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
was able to attach from my DT computer

Attachments

• Siemans compatibility.pdf
    956.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Siemens Breakers allowed in legacy Load Centers.pdf
    956.6 KB · Views: 3

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I reached out to Siemens and sent them a picture of the specification sticker in the old Murray panel. They told me that that panel was not listed for a Siemens double pole GFCI circuit breaker. Wouldn't fit. Rejection clips on the tabs in the panel.

I reached out to Eaton and they told me that the only I reached out to Eaton and they told me that the only double pole GFCI circuit breaker they manufacture is a BR. No CL.

I had two choices:

1.) install a BR style GFCI circuit breaker

Or

2.) swap out the panel

Try explaining to a homeowner that in order to install a GFCI circuit breaker for an upgraded pool pump or pool pump motor that they have to swap out the panel....

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I reached out to Siemens and sent them a picture of the specification sticker in the old Murray panel. They told me that that panel was not listed for a Siemens double pole GFCI circuit breaker. Wouldn't fit. Rejection clips on the tabs in the panel.

I reached out to Eaton and they told me that the only I reached out to Eaton and they told me that the only double pole GFCI circuit breaker they manufacture is a BR. No CL.

I had two choices:

1.) install a BR style GFCI circuit breaker

Or

2.) swap out the panel

Try explaining to a homeowner that in order to install a GFCI circuit breaker for an upgraded pool pump or pool pump motor that they have to swap out the panel....
Other option is 2 space spa panel next to Murray panel fed from it.

JohnE

Weren't they the ones with the handles the same colors as the equivalent plug fuses?
When I started in the 80's all we used was Bryant. (A nice upgrade from the FPE that dominated this area in the previous 2/3 decades) In the late '80's early '90's a brand named General Switch was making/ selling/ branding a very similar panel with copper bussing and the same color coding on the breakers, but with the General Switch branding. They only were around this area for a few years. I've used Bryant, Challenger, T&B, Cutler-Hammer BR series and Eaton BR for 40 years. They were "all the same", but only Bryant and GS had the color coded handles. Like others said, I always considered "Cutler-Hammer" the CH series. For a while the price was so close on BR vs. CL, I only stocked CL. I was doing a lot of new houses and a lot of service work.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have worked on, and changed out dozens of General Switch panels. None of them had the colored handles.
I found out that years ago, Lowes, and some hardware stores, sold packaged electrical kits for new construction. The kits had wire, boxes, receptacles, switches, and breaker panels with breakers. General Switch was the brand of the panels. That answers why I see so much GS panels in some of the older houses in my area.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
When I started in the 80's all we used was Bryant. (A nice upgrade from the FPE that dominated this area in the previous 2/3 decades) In the late '80's early '90's a brand named General Switch was making/ selling/ branding a very similar panel with copper bussing and the same color coding on the breakers, but with the General Switch branding. They only were around this area for a few years. I've used Bryant, Challenger, T&B, Cutler-Hammer BR series and Eaton BR for 40 years. They were "all the same", but only Bryant and GS had the color coded handles. Like others said, I always considered "Cutler-Hammer" the CH series. For a while the price was so close on BR vs. CL, I only stocked CL. I was doing a lot of new houses and a lot of service work.
I have worked on, and changed out dozens of General Switch panels. None of them had the colored handles.
I found out that years ago, Lowes, and some hardware stores, sold packaged electrical kits for new construction. The kits had wire, boxes, receptacles, switches, and breaker panels with breakers. General Switch was the brand of the panels. That answers why I see so much GS panels in some of the older houses in my area.

norcal

You forgot Zinsco with the colored handles, they may have been first in the fifties.