Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
FYI----- http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/Recal...eter-Breakers/

Description

This recall involves MBED 3042 series residential meter breaker. The meter breakers are service entrance equipment systems that consist of a single meter socket and load center or a meter socket and main breaker combined in one enclosure. The meter breakers have gray metallic enclosures and measure about 14 ? inches wide by 42 ? inches high by 7 inches deep. The recalled units have catalog numbers MBED3042B200BF, MBED3042B200BF6, MBED3042B225PV or MBED3042PV200BF. The catalog number is located on the unit?s packaging. The enclosures have a single warning label on the bottom of the lower right compartment door, which is secured with a latch and hasp at the bottom. Consumers should not open the meter breaker?s enclosure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Talked with Eaton-- apparently this issue has already been dealt with and only affected a few areas in Ca, and Nev. They apparently made a panel cover that would protect the individuals from coming in contact with the live area- not sure what exactly that was about.

Sorry for the late thread on this.

templdl

Talked with Eaton-- apparently this issue has already been dealt with and only affected a few areas in Ca, and Nev. They apparently made a panel cover that would protect the individuals from coming in contact with the live area- not sure what exactly that was about.

Sorry for the late thread on this.

What appears to have been describe is some sort of a dead front cover issue which is intended to protect the user from contacting live parts. There is a test that is performed using a rod/probe that the cover is intended to prevent the probe from coming into contact with any live parts. The defect may be as a result of too much clearance do to an error in manufacture of the cover.
The question then would be would the issue be resolved by replacing the cover.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The eaton guy I talked to said the redesigned the panel with a UL approval. Apparently there were some authority having jurisdiction's that were not happy with the exposed area so they came up with a metal plate (cover) that took care of the issue. I assume this satisfied the ones who complained about the units.

templdl

Here is a pdf on the fix with pics showing all the info on this product.

Just as I suspected. Would this have been assembled by a satilite facility in that part on the country or at the main msnufacturing plant.
If this was an engineering design issue to begin with then it would result in a company wide recall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Just as I suspected. Would this have been assembled by a satilite facility in that part on the country or at the main msnufacturing plant.
If this was an engineering design issue to begin with then it would result in a company wide recall.

The unit was redesigned and submitted to UL. There they approved the equipment but when it went into the field many authority having jurisdiction's were not happy so Eaton decided to try and appease them and their customers and found a fairly cheap solution. In some cases the entire unit was replaced but mostly the cover was implemented.

I have no idea about how or where it was done but they did tell me it only affected about 1,200 units or so in the Ca, Ne area.

Status
Not open for further replies.