EBU or Integral Light Fixture Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Thanks for the response. So are the EBU'S generally cheaper?

It depends. I've had some jobs where integral batteries may only add $60-$80 per fixture, and at that cost, I'm using integral batteries. My breakeven will be around $70 per fixture considering the additional labor/material needed for an EBU. I'd still rather take the labor time-savings at $100/ea so I can keep the job moving.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I mean something like this

View attachment 2563742
EBU's are flexible in terms of location, and you can get combination EBU/Exit units, killing two birds with one stone. They are also dirt cheap, much cheaper than adding an emergency ballast and batteries to the normal fixtures. Depending on the fixture, they may not be offered in an emergency configuration, depending on if you or an architect are selecting the fixtures. As brantmaga points out, there is extra labor for the EBU's, so it really comes down to the kind of space you have and what your labor costs are. You have a 50 foot corridor, maybe you put in an emergency ballast, but at one or both ends you have to put and emergency exit light, so you have that cabling anyway, you'd be better off putting in a combo unit(s) instead. Or you have a warehouse; you'll need EBU's on the perimeter unless you can arrange emergency power for some of the HID's or whatever general lighting the warehouse has.

LibertyEngineering

EBU's are flexible in terms of location, and you can get combination EBU/Exit units, killing two birds with one stone. They are also dirt cheap, much cheaper than adding an emergency ballast and batteries to the normal fixtures. Depending on the fixture, they may not be offered in an emergency configuration, depending on if you or an architect are selecting the fixtures. As brantmaga points out, there is extra labor for the EBU's, so it really comes down to the kind of space you have and what your labor costs are. You have a 50 foot corridor, maybe you put in an emergency ballast, but at one or both ends you have to put and emergency exit light, so you have that cabling anyway, you'd be better off putting in a combo unit(s) instead. Or you have a warehouse; you'll need EBU's on the perimeter unless you can arrange emergency power for some of the HID's or whatever general lighting the warehouse has.
Who uses ballasts and HID's anymore, I assume you mean you mean emergency battery for LED drivers.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Who uses ballasts and HID's anymore, I assume you mean you mean emergency battery for LED drivers.
I admit to complete ignorance regarding the preferred lighting equipment for high-bay luminaires on new installations nowadays. I am mostly going off what I see from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.