EC&M Grounding & Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
tom baker said:
A switch is not part of the EGC path, a receptacle is.
a lot of metallic items are not part of the grounding path, but are required to be bonded......~RJ~

I think Tom is referring to the self grounding receptacle yoke like I did on post #10

The receptacle's yoke has to carry the fault current but the switch strap doesn't. Well... I guess technically it does but it is not the fault current of an appliance.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
a lot of metallic items are not part of the grounding path, but are required to be bonded......~RJ~

I think Tom is referring to the self grounding receptacle yoke like I did on post #10

The receptacle's yoke has to carry the fault current but the switch strap doesn't. Well... I guess technically it does but it is not the fault current of an appliance.
reading 404.9 B we have three exceptions that are pertinent to OP

ex #1, we replace a switch in ancient non-egc , it's either non metallic yoke of GFI protected

ex#2 states all four (4) need to be met...for manufactured homes cheesy 'switch in a box' garbage

ex#3 is talking more of the same & kicks us back to 300.15E>>>

(E) Integral Enclosure. A wiring device with integral enclo‐
sure identified for the use

All of this is the manufactured home industries influence to beat stick built per sq ft, because they use substandard materials they lobby cmp's to create codes as well as exceptions to codes for Ed

we don't wire like this, so anything we run an egc to, is supposed to carry the 'fault current' , be it a direct or indirect path back to source

~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you think? I always thought you needed self grounding device unless it had metal to metal contact. According to the article you only need that for receptacles.

reading 404.9 B we have three exceptions that are pertinent to OP
RJ can you explain how those exceptions have anything to do with Dennis' question from the OP (quoted above)?

The question is can the switch be grounded by only the two metal mounting screws without the use a self-grounding device. The answer is yes, Mike's graphic contains the applicable code section.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
RJ can you explain how those exceptions have anything to do with Dennis' question from the OP (quoted above)?

The question is can the switch be grounded by only the two metal mounting screws without the use a self-grounding device. The answer is yes, Mike's graphic contains the applicable code section.
I thought i just posted the 'explanation' infinity

the pix merely states the yoke does not need to press up against the metal box, the two 6-32 screws will do

ergo and egc is achieved, albeit mechanically connected is somewhat suspect

in no case does this imply an egc is not needed

~RJ~

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I thought i just posted the 'explanation' infinity

the pix merely states the yoke does not need to press up against the metal box, the two 6-32 screws will do

ergo and egc is achieved, albeit mechanically connected is somewhat suspect

in no case does this imply an egc is not needed

~RJ~
If it was not needed, would the code stated otherwise required one like it does for receptacles without the self grounding.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
If it was not needed, would the code stated otherwise required one like it does for receptacles without the self grounding.
The particular code OP pix is allowing a switch w/out self grounding yoke to serve as an egc via metal box, if there were an egc within said box , and if i'm reading you right, the Q would be if it were also required to be made to the switch as well

~RJ~

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The particular code OP pix is allowing a switch w/out self grounding yoke to serve as an egc via metal box, if there were an egc within said box , and if i'm reading you right, the Q would be if it were also required to be made to the switch as well

~RJ~
Good question.

IMO, no.

I will look in the book tonight abd see if I can change my answer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd still say no, because the EGC connection option for a receptacle is to the receptacle, not the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

~RJ~
I agree with the others no bonding jumper is required.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I read 404.9(b)(1) again and the connection of EGC to the switch is not required even with metallic conduit and an EGC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I read 404.9(b)(1) again and the connection of EGC to the switch is not required even with metallic conduit and an EGC.
Correct, the wire type EGC can connect directly to the metal box. The switch connects to the box with the 6/32 screws, job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.