Economic Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hey everybody,

I'm currently working as an engineer in the industrial consulting industry, working on mines and process plants and things are slowing down frighteningly fast. Multi-billion dollar projects are getting cancelled all over the place and I was wondering if anyone knows of any industries that are doing well, in case I get canned! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation!

Thanks

PS - the title should be "Economic Woes"... haha, I don't seem to be able to change that.

480sparky

......... I was wondering if anyone knows of any industries that are doing well, in case I get canned!......

Auto repair outfits, as no one is buying new any more.

Legal services. Sheriff sales. Heck, even newspapers are making a fortune publishing all the foreclosures each day. My local paper used to have 8 or 10 a week. Now the have 8 or 10 pages. Every day.

shamsdebout

Hey everybody,

I'm currently working as an engineer in the industrial consulting industry, working on mines and process plants and things are slowing down frighteningly fast. Multi-billion dollar projects are getting cancelled all over the place and I was wondering if anyone knows of any industries that are doing well, in case I get canned! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation!

Thanks

PS - the title should be "Economic Woes"... haha, I don't seem to be able to change that.

I agree with you, I think most firms are feeling the economic woes. Tried the local power company,Governemt Engineering Jobs.

Hey everybody,

Thanks

One of the mayor elctrical manufacturer is just forcing all employees to take leave of absence without pay for varying lenghts. The also stopped 401K matching contributions.

Other measures I've heard of:
  • leave of absence with pay
  • merit freeze
  • no caryover vacation from last year or to future years
  • reduced workhours with or without pay
  • delaying capital investments
  • reducing inventory
  • throttling back production rates
  • reducing selling price to keep up volume
  • reduced cost of raw materials (copper nosedive)
  • retirement packages
  • reducing contract labor

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Auto repair outfits, as no one is buying new any more.

Legal services. Sheriff sales. Heck, even newspapers are making a fortune publishing all the foreclosures each day. My local paper used to have 8 or 10 a week. Now the have 8 or 10 pages. Every day.

The newspaper here seems to have lost at least half its advertising, although some of it may be seasonal. The help wanted pages are just about empty.

zog

Hey everybody,

Thanks

Projects at water treatment plants, power plants, and anything having to do with alternative energy is rocking right now.

you have to wonder how long even government can afford to keep funding these uneconomical projects.

As long as we keep electing the idiots who have no concepts on how to generate wealth through value added products.

When you have disposable funds you can afford to blow it on luxuries like yachts, or lawish vacation homes, but when you don't would you invest in a windmill that will never return the investement. It is like putting your money in the bank and instead of it earning interest, the bank charges you for keeping it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As long as we keep electing the idiots who have no concepts on how to generate wealth through value added products.

When you have disposable funds you can afford to blow it on luxuries like yachts, or lawish vacation homes, but when you don't would you invest in a windmill that will never return the investement. It is like putting your money in the bank and instead of it earning interest, the bank charges you for keeping it.

I think there have been twice been cases where for short periods of time the interest rate on Tbills was negative. The first happened during the great depression. The second happened recently in the secondary tbill market.

macmikeman

Hey everybody,

Multi-billion dollar projects are getting cancelled all over the place and I was wondering if anyone knows of any industries that are doing well, in case I get canned! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation!

Thanks.

Washington hoodwinking is doing terrific. Its a trillion dollar industry right now.

Doug S.

The newspaper here seems to have lost at least half its advertising, although some of it may be seasonal. The help wanted pages are just about empty.

Some of it's seasonal, some of it is no money to advertise, and some of it is advertisers going bankrupt!

Less add revenue, means less revenue, means less of everything including employees.

As mentioned gov't sector stuff seems to be doing all right, for now.
Health care is also still spending like crazy, again, for now.

A NPR blurb today was saying GDP was way down, (blah,blah,blah) but Alcohol sales were up. Maybe some of the brewery's are looking to modernize? Maybe AA is hiring? :confused:

I've been brushing up my Spanish, and contemplating learning Manderine. :grin:

Best of Luck!
Doug S.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My local producer of potatoes for snack foods told me last fall that sales go up for them during economic downturns.

Road and bridge construction is getting a shot in the arm.

One of the local school boards discussed hiring another phys ed coach but weren't worried that the English instructor they had was not certified to teach the class.

Sounds like we will be drinking beer, eating chips, and discussing sports while we stay home to work on the car because the roads are tore up and the bridge is out.:roll:

76nemo

Do you have more support on that Lazlo? The windmills are going up here like machine gun fire. I've never done any research on the issue. There sure is a big stink about them though. Heck, if they're not efficient, than I would rather not look at them either:cool:

neutral

I became confused when I heard these terms with reference to the word 'service'.

Internal Revenue 'Service'
U.S.Postal 'Service'
Telephone 'Service'
Cable 'Service'
Civil 'Service'
Customer 'Service'
State, City & County Public 'Service'

This is not what I thought 'service' meant.
But today, I overheard two farmers talking,and one of them said he had hired a bull to 'service' a few cows. BAM!!! It all came into focus.

Now I understand what all those
'service' agencies are doing to us.I hope you are as enlightened as I am.

dreamsville

Only thing busy here is back-up generator related work because the POCO's reliability is steadily getting worse. Not maintaining right of ways, preventative maintenance etc. People want their tv's and furnaces to work. :smile:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do you have more support on that Lazlo? The windmills are going up here like machine gun fire. I've never done any research on the issue. There sure is a big stink about them though. Heck, if they're not efficient, than I would rather not look at them either:cool:

Run the numbers. For the most part they are an unreliable and uneconomical source of electricity that would not even be under consideration without the massive (mostly indirect) government subsidies being pumped into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.