EC's doing engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbond24

In Alabama, you can't even have the word "Engineering" on the side of your building unless you employ a registered PE, working in his/her discipline.

It is the same in West Virginia. For an individual to advertise that they do engineering work, they must have a P.E. For a business to advertise that they do engineering work, they must obtain a COA (certificate of authorization), the first prerequisite of which is that they must employ a P.E. that will be in charge of their engineering work.

JWCELECTRIC

It is the same in West Virginia. For an individual to advertise that they do engineering work, they must have a P.E. For a business to advertise that they do engineering work, they must obtain a COA (certificate of authorization), the first prerequisite of which is that they must employ a P.E. that will be in charge of their engineering work.

Does the Electrical Contractor need to hire the PE as a full time employee or can the EC subcontract to a engineering firm with a registered PE?

drbond24

Does the Electrical Contractor need to hire the PE as a full time employee or can the EC subcontract to a engineering firm with a registered PE?

Only the entity doing the actual engineering work needs to have a P.E. in their employ. An EC would only need to employ a P.E. if they wanted to do the designs themselves. If they are subcontracting to an engineering firm, that firm will need to have a P.E. but not the EC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It really depends on the individual state. In Wisconsin, an EC can offer engineering if they simply subcontract a PE. In South Dakota, the company needs to be registered as an engineering firm (COA).

Some states even have "designer" licenses that allow contractors to perform 'design-build' projects of limited size and occupancy.

What does NY state consider illegal as far as engineering? Is a design build considered engineering? The reason i ask is because the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers requests proposals for design builds for the barracks at Fort Drum, NY and West Point. Does the EC proposing these jobs have to employ a PE?

Gerry

On any design I've ever done, the contract was not awarded until after the design documents were complete. I couldn't ask what you thought because I wouldn't know who was doing the work until my job was already done.

Good point!!

Maybe engineerings schools should think of offering classes on Clairvoyance.;)

drbond24

Good point!!

Maybe engineerings schools should think of offering classes on Clairvoyance.;)

Well, I've heard (on this website mostly) that there are those in my profession that know everything, but I'm not one of those lucky ones. I cannot see into the future or read minds. I've finally convinced my wife of that last one after 5 years or so of her expecting me to read hers. :D:rolleyes:

JWCELECTRIC

I just wish some engineers would ask for some input from us every once once in a while. Like positions of lights etc.

I don't need to ask, I just wait until the contractor calls and asks how to connect a light fixture, then I tell them (black to black, white to white, & green goes down hill) and then also tell them to position the light fixture so it shines down on the area that needs the light.

QES

California Contractor, you can not have the word "engineering" on your business name unless you have a "A"(general engineering contractor) license. I had a hard time changing my electrical contracting business name to include the word electrical engineering. I end up submitting my PE license number to the contractor board before they can approved the name change.

kbsparky

...How long during a flight does an airline pilot actually work as a pilot? Take off's and landings?....

Not much in most cases. But in certain instances, like USAir flight 1549, they certainly had an experienced, qualified pilot at the helm (Captain Sullenberger), who was able to manually guide that aircraft to a safe water landing under no power.

Point is while you may not need all that knowledge and experience all the time, it's very useful when you need to call upon it on a moment's notice.;)

shamsdebout

I don't need to ask, I just wait until the contractor calls and asks how to connect a light fixture, then I tell them (black to black, white to white, & green goes down hill) and then also tell them to position the light fixture so it shines down on the area that needs the light.

That is funny. Its always good when the Designer gets input from contractors, I got some help from a EC on some sight lighting, he did an excellent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.