Edison Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: Edison Circuit

The system was originally designed by Edison himself for his Direct Current systems. In those days, conductor costs were the primary factor for electrical installations and this "new" system provided a means for supplying two circuits using only three wires. This made for significant savings.

This concept was borrowed by Tesla and Westinghouse during the developement of the alternating current system. It later became known as the multiwire branch circuit.

On a side note, I believe the 3? wye multiwire systems were once called the "round robin circuit".

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

how can you use a mutlwire branch circuit on DC?

midget

I was just asking because I did trim with a guy yesterday, and I was looking at the panel and there was some 3-conductor, and I asked him what it was going to, and he said it was a "edison circuit"...which when he explained it, seemed just like a Multiwire BC. :D

physis

I think it might be more productive to ask what the differences would be.

Edit: I can't seem to stop misspelling :(

[ December 21, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

bphgravity

Originally posted by domnic:
The system is identical to a 3-wire AC system except that the loads are connected between two positive leads of a DC generator which both share a common negative lead.

I believe Edison used 2-100V generators for his typical system.

ronaldrc

I never did see a DC circuit set up like the Edison AC system but I assumed the common would be a negative and a positive tied together? If you tied the positives or negatives together and used them as a common you wouldn't have the benefit of being able to balance it and have the same size common.

Ronald :)

[ December 21, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

physis

I tried to find a link to something regarding DC Edison circuits but all I could find was a bunch of spooky stories of the dreaded AC version of the Edison circuit.

From what's being said on the internet I think we should all start businesses that remove the dangerous and deadly multiwire circuits from innocent peoples homes. :roll:

midget

Yeah, the only few things I found were about how bad Multiwire Branch Circuits were when I did research.

peter d

Originally posted by midget:
Yeah, the only few things I found were about how bad Multiwire Branch Circuits were when I did research.
Don't believe everything you read. ;)

Multiwire circuits are not bad, just misunderstood.

I use them whenever possible. I will be very upset if I ever see a code rule that bans them. :eek:

[ December 21, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Midget, the Multiwire Circuit is probably the best and most sensible circuit there is.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by roger:
Midget, the Multiwire Circuit is probably the best and most sensible circuit there is.

Roger
But what if...... :D

Other than myself and Peter as well. :cool:

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

bphgravity' the DC edison system with two generators is one generator +DC VOLTS and the other -DC VOLTS?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

domnic,
Its just like two batteries in series, but with a center tap. Both are the same battery but with 2 in series you get 3 volts and with a center tap, you get +1.5, -1.5, and 3 volts.
Don

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Midget; Iwire, Peter, Scott, Electricman2, Ed, Bennie,(RIP) and many other knowledgeable people here (like Charlie said the list is very long)can burst the naysayers bubbles in this wiring method.

It saves natural resources, reduces voltage drop, reduces wasted power, (wattage) saves the customer in installation labor, electric bills, etc...

Think about it in a bigger example, the service to your house is a Multiwire Circuit.

Roger

peter d

Originally posted by physis:
Oh man, you left me out Roger. :D
Oh no.....not another list!!!!!! ;)

At any rate, they will have to pry the 3-wire cable out of my cold, dead hands before I give them up. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.