Edison Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Edison Circuit

Sam, you are definitely included in the the "Knowledgeable People" I mentioned.

Now, I will not say anything else in this thread for the sake of my personal safety. :D

Merry Christmas everyone.

looking_towards_house.JPG

Roger

peter d

Very true Bob. I do primarily residential, so the 4-wire didn't immediately occur to me. :)

I have done a few 3-phase multiwires in EMT, and I thought I was in heaven. :D

Ed MacLaren

It saves natural resources, reduces voltage drop, reduces wasted power, (wattage) saves the customer in installation labor, electric bills, etc...
Right, and in case anyone is interested, here are some numbers to back it up.

Assuming the wire size, circuit length, and load current is identical for both configurations, note the reduction in voltage drop at the load, and the lower line power loss, in the three-wire example.

Ed

3wire.gif

[ December 21, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

kpepin

The project I'm working on now has a spec that states NO SHARED NEUTRALS. Life is so much better with less wire to pull!

midget

Originally posted by Ed MacLaren:
The project I'm working on now has a spec that states NO SHARED NEUTRALS.
Does that include the service and feeders? :confused:

Ed
How is it *not* less wire? I mean...instead of pulling 2 home runs you only pull one...but then if you wanna take one circuit somewhere else you have to pull some more wire...so I guess maybe it balances out, and it's really not less wire...right?

peter d

Originally posted by midget:
How is it *not* less wire? I mean...instead of pulling 2 home runs you only pull one...but then if you wanna take one circuit somewhere else you have to pull some more wire...so I guess maybe it balances out, and it's really not less wire...right?
Trust us, there is less wire and/or cable to pull. :) When you get some experience in the trade, you'll know.

You have many epiphanies like that as an electrician.

physis

It's not that complicated.

2 circuits will require 4 conductors (not counting EGC's) unless using a multiwire circuit, in which case you'll only need 3 conductors. That's 25% less wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.