Education in our field? were do you see the future of our industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmid

Here we are 50 yrs old and was down sized now the real venture starts.
Now when looking at the future were do you guys see our industry heading?

What is the future of middle aged workers in our industry?

With our countries current economic situation and the challenges we face in our elderly years where do you see your selves at when you reach 65 years old?

Do you think you will have enough to retire on?

If not what are your thoughts on the issue?

I bring this up because I would bet I am not the only one contemplating these thoughts. You contracted for years and barely survived so what did you guys do for your futures. Where is the future headed I see all kinds of certifications becoming available are they going to be necessary to compete in the market place for both employers and employees. I know this is allot but what do you ladies and gentlemen think.

jonathn1

Hard part is the certification process. Like you, at 50 I cant afford to go back to school and get the all the certifications. Yet if I dont will I not be able to get the job? When the Class A certification came out for computers, I had already been working in the field for over 10 years. yet now I was not qualified to work on computers? Really? I do industrial installation and repair on electrical systems for an employer for 10 years. but if I were to move somewhere I cant do the work because I am not a certified master electrician. All because the work is in an industry not certified to train, so the experience doesnt count. Yet I can out perform any master electician I have worked with.
In the future we will have gadgets and gizmos all the more. I am already seeing more people asking me about PLC programming for the house so they can do more. So I will need to brush up on those skills or hire a PLC programmer just to turn on lights in the bath room.
I like the though of that and the possibilities for sensors and controls in the house are far reaching. But if I do it for 5 years will I see a certification now come out that disqualifies me for it?
But I dont see the basics going away any time soon. Basic electricity and basic electronics are as valid today as they were when I had my first class back in 77. But it is hard to keep up with all the changes I am required to do for my work. Or to at least decide which specialty i will follow for the future. Online courses are becoming available also and that is a huge help.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I am 53 and am going back to school in May. Our community college will be starting a PV / wind / alternative energy program. I will be in the first PV class and may consider taking the alternative energy class which is more of an overview.

Wind turbines are popping up everywhere here in Michigan and PV panels are also starting to make their way to our state.

What will turn the tide to PV and wind is when we can use it to put fuel in our cars for free. That will happen soon. Both the efficiency of the supply and the efficiency of the load are getting better by the minute.

Michigan has little sunlight during the winter, but lots of it during the summer. Wind is not only very unpredictable, but can and does get to hurricane force levels on occasion which is hard on the turbines and can, in fact, destroy them.

I can see PV gaining popularity as a means to power AC units here. I am a little skeptical about wind being used on a personal level, but we are planning and building farms to boost the grid.

I love going to school and really miss my NJATC classes. I am really looking forward to going back to college. My daughter is going to start at the same college this fall. If there are any classes I like offered during the fall, my daughter and I will be attending the same college at the same time, which we both think is really cool. I may take one I don't need just to be there with her. She loves school too and is an A student. Her mother and I both continued our educations late in life so she is used to the fact that school can be a part of a person's life for the duration.

G._S._Ohm

Nobody wants you when you are old.
Your physical work output is less, your health problems can only worsen, and you know too much to do dumb and risky things that some companies ask you to do.

Of course, if they detect that you are desperate, that puts a slightly different light on things.

Doctors and lawyers are politically savvy so they limit the number of people in their profession to artificially reduce supply and so boost demand.

At 50 you are expected to live to 80. For some that is good news, but for others. . .

In any event, keep your BMI at 25, lift weights and do aerobic at least an hour per day.

Last edited:
When you're old,there's a lot of tendency that companies wouldn't want your service anymore! Better way to stay is to remain healthy and productive as you grow older. Live a healthy lifestyle,it's not a guarantee though,but I'm telling you..it's Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.