EGC in a separate raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsbeih

4000 A LV Switchgear supplied from delta wye transformer through Parallel single conductor cables per phase (non armored/non metallic) on steel tray. Due to tray size, EGC can't be accommodated in the same tray, so does the code allow the EGC to run in a separate raceway, say PVC conduit?

Notes:
Client's standard doesn't allow on using the tray as an EGC.

Personally, I feel it doesn't comply with the code per 300.4 but I am wondering if there is an exception or some other rules applicable to the case of parallel single conductors per phase?

The other independent question, let's say per table 250.122 you need 500 KCMIL EGC, does utilizing 3 parallel smaller size as EGC (say 3#2/0) satisfies the NEC?

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1) Personally, I feel it doesn't comply with the code per 300.4 but I am wondering if there is an exception or some other rules applicable to the case of parallel single conductors per phase?

2) The other independent question, let's say per table 250.122 you need 500 KCMIL EGC, does utilizing 3 parallel smaller size as EGC (say 3#2/0) satisfies the NEC?

1) I agree it doesn't comply. Are the conductors service entrance conductors from the XFMR to the switchgear?

2) I see nothing in 250.122 that permits using smaller parallel conductors to make the larger one that is required by that table.

wsbeih

1) I agree it doesn't comply. Are the conductors service entrance conductors from the XFMR to the switchgear?

2) I see nothing in 250.122 that permits using smaller parallel conductors to make the larger one that is required by that table.

1) This is part of an industrial plant, separately derived system. So both transformer and LV SWGR are owned by client.
2) With this being said, any part of the code doesn't allow doing this? I'm trying to fit smaller EGC's on tray that i can't change its size!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1) This is part of an industrial plant, separately derived system. So both transformer and LV SWGR are owned by client.
2) With this being said, any part of the code doesn't allow doing this? I'm trying to fit smaller EGC's on tray that i can't change its size!
If there is a rule saying that the EGC shall be size X and no rule saying that you can use parallel conductors for a EGC, then you cannot do it.
And the rule that all circuit wires must be in the same raceway, with few exceptions, will be a problem.

Carultch

Each raceway or wiring structure needs a full size EGC, and needs to be routed with the remaining conductors of the corresponding circuit. It sounds like your best solution is to divide the parallel conductors into two cable trays (given equal division), and run an EGC in each.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

You don't need an EGC, you need a Supply Side Bonding Jumper per 250.30(A)(2)...which will likely be larger than a 4000A EGC would be.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Seems strange that multiple smaller conductors will fit and one large one will not. Would you be so kind and explain why the large will not fit...?

Status
Not open for further replies.