Egc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

Hi, I installed a couple of GFCI receptacles in a garage. There is a Stab-lock subpanel on the inside wall coming from a 200A main panel. I installed a 20A in the stab-lock subpanel and(3)#12 conductors (white,blk & grn). I believe that Art 250.118 says I can use the emt as the ground, right? I installed a #12 ground wire going out to the GFCI receptacles and thinking it's already grounded from the emt and there is no ground bar inthe subpanel should I just terminate the ground directly to the subpanel?? Thanks, Jerry

radiopet

Hello,

250.118 refers to what can be used as a EGC itself and yes EMT can be used as a ECG in its application.

My concern here is you did not state if the "SubPanel" is properly wired , if the garage is attached it should have (4) conductors ( or EMT if ran from the main panel as the 4th conductor ) and in the subpanel you should have seperation between the grounded conductor and the grounding conductors.....so if the subpanel is improperly done you can compound the isses by using conduit as the EGC beyond that...

So it is important to know how the subpanel is really set up and if it is properly done to eliminate potential obj. currents and so on as well as ensuring a proper fault current path.......all of which can cause issues.

jute

radiopet said:
Hello,

250.118 refers to what can be used as a EGC itself and yes EMT can be used as a ECG in its application.

My concern here is you did not state if the "SubPanel" is properly wired , if the garage is attached it should have (4) conductors ( or EMT if ran from the main panel as the 4th conductor ) and in the subpanel you should have seperation between the grounded conductor and the grounding conductors.....so if the subpanel is improperly done you can compound the isses by using conduit as the EGC beyond that...

So it is important to know how the subpanel is really set up and if it is properly done to eliminate potential obj. currents and so on as well as ensuring a proper fault current path.......all of which can cause issues.
Hi and thanks for the info...I'm posting a link where the project being discussed can be viewed. Please click on link, scroll down on page and click on "Project #1". Is this properly grounded?? Let me know what you think... Thanks, Jerry

http://home.earthlink.net/~cblinfo/customerpagemaster.html

celtic

That subpanel may need some re-working...
It *appears* that the neutral and grounding conductors are on the same bar
(http://home.earthlink.net/~cblinfo/sub%20panel%201%20lg.jpg)

I cannot tell if the main panel is wired similarly.

Are these panels "back to back" (sandwiching the wall)?

EDIT:
Is that a #10 green on the sub's neutral bar?
I can't see it leaving the main panel.

jute

celtic said:
That subpanel may need some re-working...
It *appears* that the neutral and grounding conductors are on the same bar
(http://home.earthlink.net/~cblinfo/sub%20panel%201%20lg.jpg)

I cannot tell if the main panel is wired similarly.

>>>You can enlarge the picture TWICE... after you click to enlage the first time, rest your cursor on the picture and an expansion button should come up...Click on that and it will expand to full size...(hope this helps)

celtic said:
Are these panels "back to back" (sandwiching the wall)?

>>>YES, they are back to back, The wireway pic shows the feeder wires going through the wall, it then comes out on the oppisite side and continues through a LB and into the sub panel.

celtic said:
EDIT:
Is that a #10 green on the sub's neutral bar?
I can't see it leaving the main panel...

>>>That #10 green wire is leaving the subpanel going to an A/C unit previously installed... Thanks again for the help... Jerry

jute

hillbilly said:
Jute....your profile says that you're a EC.....What does that mean?

steve
EC (Electrical Contactor) I'm in So CAl and working under a C-10 license...

haskindm

It appears that the sub-panel is not installed correctly. There should be a separate EGC installed from the main panel (outside) to the sub-panel (inside). The grounds and neutrals in the sub-panel should be separated and a ground bar installed in the sub-panel. The neutral bar should be isolated from the case. The grounding electrode conductors should be installed to the main disconnect (outside). Spend some time in article 250 to confirm this information.

jute

haskindm said:
It appears that the sub-panel is not installed correctly. There should be a separate EGC installed from the main panel (outside) to the sub-panel (inside). The grounds and neutrals in the sub-panel should be separated and a ground bar installed in the sub-panel. The neutral bar should be isolated from the case. The grounding electrode conductors should be installed to the main disconnect (outside). Spend some time in article 250 to confirm this information.
The nuetral bar in the sub panel looks like it's Isolated already?? >The 5th pic shows it a little closer, if you enlarge (click) it twice to get to full size it looks isolated... So if it is isolated? I need a ground bar in the sub panel and the EGC going to the GFCI/outlets on the ground bar...The sub panel doesn't have a ground wire coming in from the main panel, it's back to back with EMT connecting it to the main panel...Is this consided to be the ground???Thanks, Jerry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.