Egress door alarmed panic hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have door in egress path which requires alarmed panic hardware in Mercantile commercial setting. The door has push bar on sales side, power supply Camden CX PS10 UL, key pad, floor stop, passage latch.

I was wondering where alarm panic hardware are covered in NEC 2014 what section? Does anyone know?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have door in egress path which requires alarmed panic hardware in Mercantile commercial setting. The door has push bar on sales side, power supply Camden CX PS10 UL, key pad, floor stop, passage latch.

The doors are Not for electrical rooms. The door is between stock room and sales floor

I was wondering where alarm panic hardware are covered in NEC 2014 what section? Does anyone know?

Clarify post #1 further: The doors are Not for electrical rooms. The door is between stock room and sales floor

I was wondering post #1 situation where alarm panic hardware, it’s connections are covered in NEC 2014 what section? Does anyone know?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think you'll find such rules covered by building code, not electrical code, other that normal wiring practices.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do not know whether an egress door alarm falls under fire alarms. I did parts replacements on the ones I've worked on.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
NFPA 731 is the Standard for the Installation of Premises Security Systems. NFPA 70 is the National Electrical Code (NEC). Both publications are used in wiring code compliant premises security systems.

Other codes such as the Building code, Fire Code and NFPA 101 Life Safety Code are equally as important especially when installing delayed egress and magnetic lock systems on entry or exit doors.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NFPA 731 is the Standard for the Installation of Premises Security Systems. NFPA 70 is the National Electrical Code (NEC). Both publications are used in wiring code compliant premises security systems.

Other codes such as the Building code, Fire Code and NFPA 101 Life Safety Code are equally as important especially when installing delayed egress and magnetic lock systems on entry or exit doors.

Ok thank you. Which section(s) of NEC 2014 is used in wiring premises security systems?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I would suggest going to the NFPA site and read for free NFPA 731 ( year 2011) look at section 4.5.8.1.1.

NEC sections 725, 800

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
To the best of my knowledge, alarmed panic hardware is never required. Panic hardware will be. The alarm is (usually) to alert those who need to know that someone has entered or otherwise breached the perimeter of a secure or sensitive area. So if you have a required exit to the rear of a stock room and don't want folks lining up to take your stuff, you put an alarm on the exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.