EIT test

Status
Not open for further replies.

tims924

Does anyone know where i can get the information on taking the EIT test. Currently i am in an internship with Allegheny Energy and I was told that i should take it now so i can take my PE test sooner. Is this true that once i take the EIT my clock starts for the 4 year waiting period until i can take my PE exam

tjs264@psu.edu

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: EIT test

To answer your questions and observations in order:
(1) http://www.ncees.org/
(2) I fully agree that you should take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) ? formerly called the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam - as soon as you can prepare yourself for it. But not for the reason you gave. I took (and passed) the FE exam and the Principles and Practices (i.e., PE) exam on two consecutive 8-hour days, twelve years after graduation from college. Bad move - not recommended! I had to re-teach myself many concepts that I had not seen in all those twelve years. I strongly suggest taking the FE test while the knowledge is fresh and while you remain under the influence of the academic discipline of college.
(3) No. First of all, every state has its own licensing requirements. Starting at the web site that I cited above, you can find your way to the requirements for your own state. In general, however, and with many notable exceptions that vary from state-to-state, the required four years of experience (it's not just a "waiting period) begin at graduation.

Best of luck,
Charles E. Beck, P.E.

ron

The main reason I would suggest to take the FE exam as early as possible (I think last semester of school), is that you are in that mode of theoretical thinking and the concepts are still somewhat fresh in your mind. I made the mistake of waiting 4 years after college to take the FE exam (EIT at the time), and had a more difficult time studing topics I had long pushed out of my head, FIFO. Chalie B gave a very clear response, follow it. The NCEES has sample exams (old exams) to try.
I think the exam is now closed book, except for a pamphlet of formula. It is a while since I dragged my shopping cart full of books into the exam room (peir on the West side of NYC) to take mine.

jtb

I waited 10 years after graduating to take it. I took a review course, and studied 3 days before (I recommend 3 months, but was getting crushed at work).

I passed.

I think in PA your experience cannot accumulate until you pass the FE exam, and has to be under a PE. HOWEVER, if you graduated before 1993, you are grandfathered and can accumulate experience prior to FE.

I took the general afternoon section. It seemed to me (both AM & PM) to be written for Mechanical Engineers. A brief scan of the Electrical PM showed a crazy breadth, mostly computer science. I wasn't ready to gamble with my memory! :eek: so Study up, e-mail me if you need more info.

[ July 23, 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: jtb ]

bonding jumper

In new york, the work experience of 4 years accumulates while u work, independant of when u take the FE. and u have to register 6 months in advance :(

Status
Not open for further replies.