ELCB in a residential house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarzulu79

Occupation
IT guy
Hello,

A layman here. I need to fill a government form for my work to confirm proper WFH conditions at home.
There is a question that I can't answer:
"Is the computer and/or printer protected by an earth leakage circuit breaker?"

The problem is, I don't know what Earth leakage circuit breaker is. I tried to google and read on up on about on wiki but I didn't get my answer.

Would I have an ELCB in my house? My home is a bog standard detached house in one of the suburbs of Surrey, BC. I have the main breaker panel in the basement with the individual 10Amp (?) single and dual breakers/fuses for each room/area. Does that constitute as an ELCB?

Hopefully someone can help me figure out the answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You must work for a European company... ELCBs is a European designation.
In North America, we call them Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, or GFCIs for short. Same thing.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the US, the answer would be no for most rooms, as most dont require GFCI protection. Kitchen counters, bathrooms, garages, outside, and unfinished basements are where the US requires GFCIs. I think Canada is similar. Seems like a silly question for a form to ask. Shock risk from a home computer or printer is generally low.

sugarzulu79

Occupation
IT guy
Thank you both for the replies! The HQ for my work is in Australia so that could explain the specific wording of the questionnaire.
I only have GFCI sockets in the bathroom, but not in any of the living/bed rooms where a computer would be plugged in.
I agree - it is a silly checklist and even if ELCB/GFCI socket isn't present, there is requirement by the company to get one installed either.

Kind regards,
Robert

kwired

Electron manager
The North American GFCI also will trip at a lower leakage level than the typical "ELCB" is set to trip at.

Low enough it could be considered "nuisance tripping" for the standards your equipment may been designed for.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would just say "No" on the questionnaire and add "ELCBs are not listed for use in North America", then see how they respond. If they require that you find a way to do it, then look into it further. My guess is that nobody reading that form will understand anyway and ignore it.

sugarzulu79

Occupation
IT guy
Thank you! It's a PDF form with checkboxes and no freetext fields. I marked it "No", sent it and spoke with HR. Admittedly everyone else in the Vancouver office marked it "Yes". Jraef is right, nobody bothered to look into what ELCB is. I feel special. Haha! Thanks to you all again for taking the time to help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.