ELCB With A Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsantangelo

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
I have a customer requiring an ELCB on the power drop to the system. The power is 208 3 phase with a neutral. Does the ELCB need to switch the neutral also?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
The white wire will almost certainly need to pass through the ELCB, but it almost certainly won't be switched.
And the risk of sounding pedantic, what do the instructions say?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Assuming from the reference to 208V 3 phase that you are in North America. An ELCB would not have any valid installation acceptability here, it is a term for a form of ground fault protection in the IEC world, and an old one at that (they are now called RCDs). Here in NA, if you are wanting to protect people it must be a GFCI, which has a MUCH lower thrip threshold than an ELCB/RCD. The trip levels for an ELCB/RCD would qualify only as “equipment” ground fault protection, what we refer to as “GFPE”. If that’s what you need, get a UL listed circuit breaker with GFPE and a short circuit interrupting capacity commensurate with your installation.

I suspect that you got some piece of equipment in from Europe or Asia and their instructions call for this. That may be indicative of this not really being intended to be installed here, so compatibility with other aspects of our electrical systems should be looked at carefully as well.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As I recall, an ELCB as Jraef describes would have electromechanical detection of residual current, meaning no electronics or amplification, just the magnetic fields created by current flow.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.