Elec Load Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasta1234

I am an Electrical Engineer who has been working with electronics for a while and slowly getting back into Power. I have a buddy who is making changes to his 6 unit apartment complex and was asked by the city inspector to provide a load schedule. He asked if i could help and i figured this would be helpful in getting me back into this.

How does one get a load schedule to a built existing building ? Any examples and techniques suggested ? Where do i start :happyno:

Thanks,
P

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
Hire a PE or an electrician.

I dont mean mean to be rude but think about taking this task on you don’t sound totally comfortable with from a liability standpoint. Any PE is gonna have professional liability insurance. Electrician will be licensed and insured. What covers you if something happens even if your calcs are correct? Not worth the 6 pack your budddy is offering.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
relative to the question you asked, read 220.87
You're likely going to need to rent a power logger and record the demand for a month. Don't know your location but a responsible engineer would perform this during the season with the greatest demand... think strip heat in winter, etc...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure I know what the city inspector means by asking for a load schedule. This could mean a complete set of "panel schedules." I don't know to what extent you have dealt with these before. But you will have one on the main service panel in your home. It shows how many circuit breakers the panel has, shows what loads are connected to each breaker, and how much load (in VA) each load uses. That last item won't likely be on the one in your home panel, but you would need it for this project.

You can accomplish this by doing a survey of all 6 units in the building, as well as any panels that serve the areas outside the individual units. That is not always possible in existing buildings, as the information is not always available. That is where 220.87 comes into play. It gives you a way to determine the total existing load on each unit and on the building as a whole. But it does not produce, as an output of the process, anything I would call a "load schedule." So I would ask the city inspector what they have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.