Electric baseboard heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Think about it, if a heater is hot enough to damage a cord plugged in a receptacle above it, then what will happen to a child who might crawl over to it and put its hand in it?:confused:
Well, the upside is that it'll only happen once . . . one would hope. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
A four footer would support one 12 x 16 adequately. rbj

That really depends on the area of the country the home is located in. A single 4' would never be adequate for a 12 x 16 room in this area.

Better yet, suggest using the type of heater that is about a foot square by 4 inches deep, that is installed flush with the wall, and that includes a built-in fan.

IMO to noisy for most dwelling unit applications. I know I would not want to listen to that all night in my bedroom.:)

We do install them in commercial spaces.

electricmanscott

Think about it, if a heater is hot enough to damage a cord plugged in a receptacle above it, then what will happen to a child who might crawl over to it and put its hand in it?:confused:

this is like getting a red tag because your romex is touching duct work.:roll:

The kid isn't going to leave his hand there for months or years where it can dry out and loose its insulation like a cord would.

Ductwork gets nowhere near as hot as electric baseboard heat.

Len

baseboard

baseboard

You cannot have receptacles above.....
they make factory assemblies for baseboard where rec. is part of baseboard. Alwayse refer back to factory installation instructions...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
IMO too noisy for most dwelling unit applications. I know I would not want too listen to that all night in my bedroom.
Several of the ones I had were, indeed, quite noisy. But they were over a decade old. And like any motor-driven equipment, the bearings will eventually go bad. So now the old heaters are gone, and there are new heaters in their place, and you cannot hear the fans unless you get very close to them. Ultra quiet, and very good at heating the rooms.

PCN

Several of the ones I had were, indeed, quite noisy. But they were over a decade old. And like any motor-driven equipment, the bearings will eventually go bad. So now the old heaters are gone, and there are new heaters in their place, and you cannot hear the fans unless you get very close to them. Ultra quiet, and very good at heating the rooms.

Do you recall the brand? I have one I need to replace, it sounds like a turbo prop plane taking flight.

Sounds like you have a good one.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
All I can read on the nameplate is TPI Corporation and a model number that I cannot find on their web site or any other. Perhaps the model I bought is no longer made. Sorry.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I don't know how to describe the "style." It is about 8 inches high and about 15 inches wide. It is rated for 120 volts. The heating element is a series of coiled wires.

But now that I think of it, when I posted the information yesterday I was in my home office, and I looked at the nameplate of the heater in that room. I think the ones in the other rooms might be a different model. I say that because I don't think that one was replaced at the same time as the others (about 2 winters ago). I'll take a look tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.