Electric closet shared by two tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have electric closet in compliance with NEC 2014 Article 240.24(B)(1) that has service equipment for two tenants and house panel. The electric closet is shared by two tenants for which service equipment it belongs to i.e. has two doors one is in tenant #1 space and other in tenant #2 space. There are four tenants in the building. The other two tenants have their own service coming in yes they are all divided by fire rated walls 2 hours.

Questions the electric closet lights and power should be fed from one of the two tenant's panel or from the house panel?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than One Occupancy.

individual tenant space, individual dwelling unit verses areas of public use or common areas of dwellings
I wouldn't call that a definition, but certainly a significant code section to this topic.

david

I wouldn't call that a definition, but certainly a significant code section to this topic.

Which code has defintion of common area?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Not every word used in writing a code section needs to be defined by a building code, electric code just use a "common" definition in the context of the code section

Common area - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_area
A common area is, in real estate or real property law, the "area which is available for use by more than one person..." The common areas are those that are available for common use by all tenants, (or) groups of tenants and their invitees.
‎Examples · ‎Case law · ‎Residence halls · ‎Stipulations with Various ...

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Not every word used in writing a code section needs to be defined by a building code, electric code just use a "common" definition in the context of the code section

Common area - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_area
A common area is, in real estate or real property law, the "area which is available for use by more than one person..." The common areas are those that are available for common use by all tenants, (or) groups of tenants and their invitees.
‎Examples · ‎Case law · ‎Residence halls · ‎Stipulations with Various ...
I was merely pointing out what was quoted was not a definition, but yes, if a code doesn't otherwise define something either for use throughout the code or for a specific portion of that code, then common definitions from things like a dictionary apply the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.