electric dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

contactm

Maybe someone can help!!!!!!!

I just finished wiring a brand new 62 unit apartment building,

The owner installed electric stackable wash/dryers from bocsh
In all 62 apartments
Once in use 8 apartments in the middle of a cycle suddenly the dryer had some kind of short that blew up the entire circuit board, besides that I t dint trip the 30 amp circuit breaker in the apartment panel instead it blew the main circuit breaker at the meter bank which is 100 amp,
I tested everything once they replaced the board it has the right voltage once its running and its not drawing more then 12 amps.

Can someone out there guide me in the right direction.

Reragrd
Contact-m

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe someone can help!!!!!!!

I just finished wiring a brand new 62 unit apartment building,

The owner installed electric stackable wash/dryers from bocsh
In all 62 apartments
Once in use 8 apartments in the middle of a cycle suddenly the dryer had some kind of short that blew up the entire circuit board, besides that I t dint trip the 30 amp circuit breaker in the apartment panel instead it blew the main circuit breaker at the meter bank which is 100 amp,
I tested everything once they replaced the board it has the right voltage once its running and its not drawing more then 12 amps.

Can someone out there guide me in the right direction.

Reragrd
Contact-m

Are you saying it did that in 8 different apartments?

iwire

Staff member
As far as which breaker trips first it is often a crap shoot which breaker will trip first under short circuit conditions.

The instantaneous trip setting of a 30 and a 100 breaker are very close if not the same. I am assuming standard plug in non adjustable molded case breakers.

I am not sure how I would proceed, it seems to me that if there were 8 power events strong enough to screw up 8 different dryers that something else would have also been damaged. A TV, a Microwave ..... something.

Right now I am leaning toward a problem with these dryers.

If someone bought 62 of these dryers there is little doubt they are factory direct and likely a consecutive group from the assembly line.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As far as which breaker trips first it is often a crap shoot which breaker will trip first under short circuit conditions.

The instantaneous trip setting of a 30 and a 100 breaker are very close if not the same. I am assuming standard plug in non adjustable molded case breakers.

I am not sure how I would proceed, it seems to me that if there were 8 power events strong enough to screw up 8 different dryers that something else would have also been damaged. A TV, a Microwave ..... something.

Right now I am leaning toward a problem with these dryers.

If someone bought 62 of these dryers there is little doubt they are factory direct and likely a consecutive group from the assembly line.

I tend to agree.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Did they replace the dryers with the issue or did they just repair them without regard to what really went wrong. I think, strike that, I know if I had 8 units do this I would want to know definitivley (is that a word?) what went wrong. I guessing an investigation would show evidence of a pretty healthy short to ground or phase to phase short within the dryer. As prevously noted it is likely they came from the same batch and all should be checked.

the blur

I've seen the results of someone drilling through a commerical conduit. It blew a 20amp 3 pole, and a 100amp 3 pole breaker at the same time. It was a phase to phase short. So it doesn't surprise me you blew the 100a main.

explain CIRCUIT board ?? a circuit board in the dryer, or the panel board ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've seen the results of someone drilling through a commerical conduit. It blew a 20amp 3 pole, and a 100amp 3 pole breaker at the same time. It was a phase to phase short. So it doesn't surprise me you blew the 100a main.

explain CIRCUIT board ?? a circuit board in the dryer, or the panel board ?

I'm sure the OP means the circuit board in the dryers. Most new appliances have a "brain" that controls everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.