Electric Hot Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I have an electric hot water heater that had a wire burn up about 4 inches of insulation off the conductor because of a loose connection on the element. Would I be in violation of the code to splice the conductor in the element wiring compartment?
Where else do you propose to splice it?

IMO, the wiring within the case is not an NEC issue. I would however use a high temperature wire.

How high? 90DEG conductors are already rated higher than normal temps encountered in the average household water heater. Melted insulation at terminations are from weak terminations not from normal heat for the space.

PetrosA

Since we're on the topic of correct English, we need to eliminate IEC Frenchisms too - I propose "Light fixture" in place of luminaire and "candle holder" instead of chandelier. ;)

All joking aside, I think the hot water heater phrase comes from the days when a lot of people referred to them as hot water tanks (at least in this part of the country). Even educated people make this kind of mistake - like the phrase "a whole 'nother story" - it can be a wholly other story, or another story, but it can't be a whole another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.