Electric Igniters on Gas Cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

msd

Need some help on this one please........

I am experiencing problems with the electric igniters on a gas cooktop. The igniters (on all 4 burners at the same time) function/energize as if in the ignite position? The Knobs are in the off position.

A BIT OF HISTORY:
About a year ago, Service Call "A" finds that when microwave is on, igniters on cooktop (knobs off) go click, click, click, click......until microwave is turned off. Moving the cooktop feeders from the small appliance multi-wire branch circuit solved the problem. New cooktop power was obtained from a different multi-wire branch circuit. I suspected a loose neutrals at the time but could not prove conclusively. No bad connections or loose neutrals were found.

Now, about a year later is Service Call "B". The customer has had new air conditioning equipment installed. The FAU/coil is on the "cooktop circuit" and now the igniters are going click, click, click, click again. This time it is not the microwave causing problems, it's the new FAU????

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Electric Igniters on Gas Cooktop

I am afraid that I cannot help. But I want to get in line behind you on this one. When you get yours figured out, perhaps I can get help with mine.

If I turn on any burner, all four go click, click until that burner lights. Then all go silent. That is the normal way it should work. But for one and only one of the burners, after it lights, all the click click stuff keeps going on. As a result, I can?t use that burner. The first service call was not successful in resolving this problem.

msd

If I turn on any burner, all four go click, click until that burner lights.
Charlie, I got that problem too. I can live with it for now, I got bigger problems. What I need to figure out is why the igniters go off in the middle of the night while the heater/FAU is operating.

physis....please explain your advice.

physis

First, it's not advice.

If you have something plugged into (let's say for argument sake) a dedicated circuit. And everything's fine unless you connect something else to it. Most likely there are two possibilities.

(A) The "new" thing you're connecting is somehow causing the problem.

(B) The existing thing is somehow the problem.

You have two "new" things on record as being associated with the problem. So based soley on that I would turn my attention to what has remained constant. The cooktop!

There are certainly other possibilities, but I'm leaning towards (B).

So what could a piece of electrical equipment
do that might bother the cooktop?

My guess would be generate electrical noise.

I don't why something would be that sensitive or "delicate". I've only dealt with a couple igniters and not on cooktops,. I couldn't imagine those being affected by a little noise.

But given what you've said I think your igniter is defective or cheesy. :)

msd

I can rule out a defective igniter as it has been replaced/serviced. The microwave was also ruled out (by the replacement method also). The FAU and A/C package are new as well.

I am thinking that perhaps a dedicated circit all the way back to the switchgear is the way to go.

physis

Without knowing how the ingniter works I'm out of ideas. :(

physis

I'd be interested in knowing the voltage at the cooktop while your problems happening.

msd

I will be solving the problem sometime this week I well let you know how it goes.

rattus

Gents, I would be absolutely sure that the range is properly grounded. You could try running a long clip lead between the range top and a cold water pipe just to prove the point. (Under the sink because many use plastic supply tubes now)

A few years ago, I had occasion to measure teeny tiny cuurents. After fiddling with the shields and grounds for a few hours we went from nanoAmps to picoAmps. Yes, that is right. Our motto in IC design was, "Think Small". But the same principles apply. You are dealing with sensitive electronic circuits which can be falsely triggered by noise on what should be ground potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.