Electric Panel Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

Is there a general rule that all circuit breakers inside a sub panel should be at the top of the electrical enclosure? The only rules that I can recall, when they apply, that the circuit breakers should all be in one location, and not spread out on the panel.

I would like to bring main power in from the top of my 48 X 36 X12 panel, run it down the side and then to my circuit breakers and contactors at the bottom of my panel. I would then put the rest of my line voltage and DC voltage at the top of the panel.

I normally have all line voltage on top, and then 110 and DC towards the bottom. I am finding that this is generally creating loops and other separation problems.

Is it generally acknowledged that line voltage should go on top of the panel, followed by the ac voltage stepped down from line voltage, and then DC on the bottom?

fifty60

If the panel is located outside, you want to make all enclosure penetrations from the bottom, right, to route all condensation away from enclosure.

If the enclosure has a disconnect switch, then that should be located at the top of the panel. So if you are coming in with your main power from the bottom, you have to route the wiring the entire length of the enclosure before you land into the disconnect line lugs.

This means that you have an entire run of line voltage, the length equivalent to the height of the enclosure, live when the disconnect is in the off position.

Would it be better to run the power in from the top of the enclosure in this situation? Surely I would want to minimize the length of wire inside the enclosure that would be live after the disconnect is in the off position...

jumper

If the panel is located outside, you want to make all enclosure penetrations from the bottom, right, to route all condensation away from enclosure.

If the enclosure has a disconnect switch, then that should be located at the top of the panel. So if you are coming in with your main power from the bottom, you have to route the wiring the entire length of the enclosure before you land into the disconnect line lugs.

This means that you have an entire run of line voltage, the length equivalent to the height of the enclosure, live when the disconnect is in the off position.

Would it be better to run the power in from the top of the enclosure in this situation? Surely I would want to minimize the length of wire inside the enclosure that would be live after the disconnect is in the off position...

None of those are NEC rules. The only rule applicable is that if you enter above live parts, you have to have a hub, sealing ring, etc to keep water out.

Coming in from the bottom to a breaker/disconnect at the top is quite common.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The practice started based on Flange Mount Disconnect handle operators, because the mounting holes for them were always on the upper right of the enclosure. This was originally a specification from Ford Motor Co., who developed a lot of the things we now call standards, when they modernized the assembly line process in the 1920s and 30s. No idea why it was top right, but likely it was just because the guy who thought of it was right handed.
t4fmd.jpg

Related back story: Henry Ford (Sr.) was an avid hunter, and one of his best friends and hunting partners was Charles Horn, the owner of Federal Arms and Cartridge Co. near Minneapolis. During WWII, Federal got a huge contract for supplying gun ammo to the US military, during which they developed the metal version of what we now know as the ubiquitous "Ammo Can", that long rectangular box with a clamp down lid and a rubber gasket for holding machine gun ammo. Prior to that they had been wooden with metal parts, Federal made them all metal to make them more durable, and because parts of WWII were being fought in more humid climates where the wood might rot.
1uid250Can.jpg
When hunting with Horn after the war, Ford noticed that Horn carried and stored a lot of other supplies in ammo cans, and he marveled at how well they protected the contents from the elements. One of Ford's engineers, named Hoffman, came to him with an ongoing problem of the cast iron boxes used at the time for housing electrical controls on the assembly lines. They were not sealing well and machine oil in the air was causing problems with the controls. So Ford told him about the ammo cans and sent Hoffman to Minnesota to work with Federal to develop electrical enclosures based on that design that would stand up to the environment of an auto assembly line. That's how Hoffman Enclosures started and for years afterward, they were still located inside of the Federal Arms production facility. When I went to visit in the late 70's (and heard this story), we had to have DOD clearance to go on site. For years afterward, whenever an electrical enclosure issue came up at a Ford plant, it was solved at the Hoffman plant. Ford wrote a lot of the early standards that later became the JIC (Joint Industry Council) that later morphed into NFPA 79 standards that we use today. It was in those standards that the idea started about having the disconnect mechanism located on a flange of the enclosure. It was so that when the door was opened, the handle was still connected to the breaker (a requirement that still exists today as "NFPA 79 handles"). The concept of a through-door rotary operating mechanism was not considered "industrial duty" for a long time. The original "NEMA 12" specifications were "Dust tight, oil tight, industrial duty", with the last part meaning designed for industrial safety. Originally, a NEMA 12 electrical enclosure was REQUIRED to have TWO locking mechanisms. That's why you would see the interlock with the handle, and ANOTHER latch mechanism down below, which required a "tool" to be opened. That tool requirement was to keep operators out of the boxes so that they couldn't sabotage a production machine and get to go home with pay. All of that changed and was relaxed, to where Type 12 now just means the sealing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.