ELECTRIC STOVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marqueszx

Occupation
Electrician
Whatsup guys ?

I have a problem and correct me if im wrong .

There is a electric stove 240v 30amp it has a 10/3 wire run from panel to outlet but i see a problem is in a double 20amp breaker .

So when i try to turn on the stove to cook or whatever the only thing that turns on is the light on the oven and the clock light but it wont start heating up . So im guessing if i changed the breaker into a double 30amp breakers it will start working correctly ?

The double 20 amp breaker isnt even tripping since the stove wont heat up does this makes sence ? Any solution / advice ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Advice ?? Hire an electrician :)
I would not worry about the breaker to start... need to do some voltage checks..sounds like it may not be getting both legs of your 240v.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My advice is no different, but just to clear up a misconception;

Having a 20A breaker instead of a 30A breaker would NOT affect the amount of power getting to the stove. The rating of the breaker is related to the PROTECTION it provides, in other words what will make it TRIP. Your stove would work fine on a 20A breaker, unless you turned ALL of the burners on High and left them that way for a long time, in which case the 20A breaker will eventually trip and stop ALL power from getting to the stove.

As augie47 said, this is some other bigger issue, either with the circuit feeding the stove, or the stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.