Electric to detached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekhead2004

New User
Occupation
Firefighter
Hey all - I have a detached garage about 500ft from my main panel in my house. There is another 100amp main panel in that garage leftover from when it was wired to another house that burnt down. I will be running electric to that garage from the house. I’m looking for suggestions on amperage of breaker in the house (thinking 60amps) and what wire to actually run.

I won’t be doing anything major in the garage. Running LED lights, trickle chargers for my tractors, small air compressor, and maybe a saw or something every now and again. I know 500ft is a long distance, so I’m struggling with what wire to use. Some people have told me 2-2-2-4, some have told me 3/0-3/0-3/0-1. I’m getting really mixed advice so I’m looking for something more concrete. I appreciate any help in advance!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.