Electric Vehicle Charging Station Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

art

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm installing chargers within 15' of the service equipment enclosure (meter, main, and branch circuit breakers).
The enclosure is lockable if the main breaker (acting as a disconnect) has to be turned off.
Do I need a separate disconnect?

macmikeman

I'm installing chargers within 15' of the service equipment enclosure (meter, main, and branch circuit breakers).
The enclosure is lockable if the main breaker (acting as a disconnect) has to be turned off.
Do I need a separate disconnect?

No. It's wise to put one in though and let the busbars in that one melt instead of the service meter/main though since that location is more expensive to repair. At least if we are talking about Tesla wall charger here. If it's just the Nissan Leaf then I wouldn't bother with the second disconnecting means at all, as long as the circuit breaker where the branch circuit conductors get their feed is capable of being locked in the open position for servicing. If the branch breaker is within 50 foot of the appliance outlet and is in direct line of sight then no locking is required in the first place.

Using a panels Main Breaker is not allowed for a disconnecting means for individual branch circuits .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So you are proposing to use the main breaker as a disconnect for the charger? Not certain if you can but that is a terrible idea. I also don't believe the main breaker is suitable as a switch.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Look at 240.83 to support my statement above

240.83(D) Used as Switches. Circuit breakers used as switches in
120-volt and 277-volt fluorescent lighting circuits shall be listed
and shall be marked SWD or HID. Circuit breakers used as
switches in high-intensity discharge lighting circuits shall be
listed and shall be marked as HID.

macmikeman

No. It's wise to put one in though and let the busbars in that one melt instead of the service meter/main though since that location is more expensive to repair. At least if we are talking about Tesla wall charger here. If it's just the Nissan Leaf then I wouldn't bother with the second disconnecting means at all, as long as the circuit breaker where the branch circuit conductors get their feed is capable of being locked in the open position for servicing. If the branch breaker is within 50 foot of the appliance outlet and is in direct line of sight then no locking is required in the first place.

Using a panels Main Breaker is not allowed for a disconnecting means for individual branch circuits .

I would like to clearly retract what I put here, I was thinking of permanently connected appliances such as 422.31 outlines, but am now not so sure how car chargers are considered. Are they permanently connected appliances , or is the fact that they don't run till a portable car is plugged in to them make them cord and plug connected appliances? It might make a difference as to what I wrote. Also looking further into this area, I found 422.34 (C) for single family dwellings which would make using the service disconnection means allowable to serve as a disconnect for this circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would like to clearly retract what I put here, I was thinking of permanently connected appliances such as 422.31 outlines, but am now not so sure how car chargers are considered. Are they permanently connected appliances , or is the fact that they don't run till a portable car is plugged in to them make them cord and plug connected appliances? It might make a difference as to what I wrote. Also looking further into this area, I found 422.34 (C) for single family dwellings which would make using the service disconnection means allowable to serve as a disconnect for this circuit.

I agree with that statement but that service disconnect must be swd rated. Not sure that they are but if so I would never use it that way unless the service was just for the charger

macmikeman

I agree with that statement but that service disconnect must be swd rated. Not sure that they are but if so I would never use it that way unless the service was just for the charger

That code you posted was concerning switching lighting. Does not apply to other loads YET but I'm pretty sure you know to fix that problem............. :thumbsup:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't mean to sound dumb as I've never had the experience of installing one of these EV chargers, but I'm guessing by the trend of this thread that the power cord between the vehicle and the source is not an acceptable disconnect means :roll:. Having said that I have 2 questions that I hope are relative to the OP :
  1. If an EV charger (60A-240V) is installed in a residential garage would an AC pull-out disconnect be an acceptable disconnect means ?
  2. If you're installing an outdoor unit (or units and let's say for Tesla or Charge-Point) (and let's say it's curbside or in an outdoor garage) what type of disconnect would you install and where would you install it ?

Leespark57

625.43 only requires a disconnect for equipment rated more than 60 amps. It states the disconnect shall be installed in a readily accessible location and lockable in accordance with 110.25. IMO, you don't need one, or install a circuit breaker padlocking device at the panel and call it a day.

art

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This is for 2 outdoor units in a rest area. I'm only proposing using the branch circuit breakers as disconnects to service each unit individually. Would this spec apply:
"Circuit breakers used as disconnects must have a minimum interrupting capacity of 42,000 A, rms, for 120/240 V(ac) services and 30,000 A, rms, for 480 V(ac) services"
Also, our mains are always marked as "service disconnect"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
625.43 only requires a disconnect for equipment rated more than 60 amps. It states the disconnect shall be installed in a readily accessible location and lockable in accordance with 110.25. IMO, you don't need one, or install a circuit breaker padlocking device at the panel and call it a day.

I just read that a moment ago and was going to post that same statement. I don't see any requirements for a direct wired unit less than 60 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is for 2 outdoor units in a rest area. I'm only proposing using the branch circuit breakers as disconnects to service each unit individually. Would this spec apply:
"Circuit breakers used as disconnects must have a minimum interrupting capacity of 42,000 A, rms, for 120/240 V(ac) services and 30,000 A, rms, for 480 V(ac) services"
Also, our mains are always marked as "service disconnect"

Aha, now you have a problem... The circuit breaker cannot be the disconnect in this case. The question is whether the main can be.... my gut is no but I cannot back it up.

625.43 Disconnecting Means. For equipment rated more than
60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting
means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible
location. The disconnecting means shall be lockable open in
accordance with 110.25.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Aha, now you have a problem... The circuit breaker cannot be the disconnect in this case. The question is whether the main can be.... my gut is no but I cannot back it up.

I don't see why the branch circuit breaker could not be the disconnecting means if it has permanent provisions for locking.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see why the branch circuit breaker could not be the disconnecting means if it has permanent provisions for locking.

The op is talking about 480v-- that is more than 150v to ground so the article I quoted says he needs a disconnect in a readily accessible location however if a branch circuit breaker was acceptable then why would they have this section?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
The op is talking about 480v-- that is more than 150v to ground so the article I quoted says he needs a disconnect in a readily accessible location however if a branch circuit breaker was acceptable then why would they have this section?

I don't see where the OP says that they are 480v.

But in any case, if the disconnect meets the conditions in (regardless of voltage) 625.43, I don't see anything saying that the disconnect couldn't be the branch circuit breaker.

If the panel was on the inside of the garage where the chargers were, would you need an additional disconnect?

I only see a requirement for the disconnect to be readily accessible and to be compliant with 110.25, a circuit breaker that is readily accessible and lockable, no matter where it is located on the premises, would be compliant IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.