Electric Water heater wifi controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There are wifi water heaters as well as devices rated at 30 amps that can control the circuit.
If it is really desired I'd get the water heater with the Wifi because you can control the temp remotely.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Why would someone want to control a water heater via WiFi? Other than, they can.

Turning the temp down when going on a long vacation?

Mine has a control board on the top with 4 settings you can do right on the water heater. I guess WIFI would allow them to do it later if they forgot to do before they left the house. But how often would you really need to do that?

Sounds like more things to go wrong to me....

kwired

Electron manager
Turning the temp down when going on a long vacation?

Mine has a control board on the top with 4 settings you can do right on the water heater. I guess WIFI would allow them to do it later if they forgot to do before they left the house. But how often would you really need to do that?

Sounds like more things to go wrong to me
exactly.

These only have value to gadget junkies. Maybe someone that is obsessed with saving every tiny bit of energy they can or way to involved in being green for the planet (but those people shouldn't by nature even be interested in a tank type water heater) would also have an interest in such a product. Tank type water heater doesn't cost that much to maintain the tank when you aren't ever using any hot water. On top of that losses are only total losses during cooling season or if the tank isn't in a conditioned space (not happening here or you will have frozen pipes in the winter). During heating season those losses just supplement the heating system.

I recently seen a garage door opener with wifi abilities. What is so important about needing wifi to communicate with your garage door? Sure you might be able to remotely open the door from half way around the globe, but how bad is the need to do so? That same GDO I was asked to connect a new "wired wall control" for it, as the old one stopped working. New one didn't work either - problem in the main unit - the old wall control did work on the second door opener they had. What was wrong with the traditional simple normally open contact that we used to put inside the garage as a control? I can understand something with additional security for an outdoor control. I ended up fixing that one with a wall mount wireless controller. Sends same kind of signal as the vehicle remotes, just designed to mount on the wall. Was a lot cheaper then a new circuit board for the door opener.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I forgot to mention that the water heater just has been replaced.

Sorry to hear that.
There are Zwave 30 amp controls , they look like a intermatic timer,
Some from a company called Sinope
There are many.
If you don't already have a home automation platform I would look into one that has features you desire and go with that.

Why would someone want to control a water heater via WiFi? Other than, they can.

Hummm , Maybe they have a vacation rental , want to turn up the heat so it is ready when a guest arrives.

exactly.

These only have value to gadget junkies. Maybe someone that is obsessed with saving every tiny bit of energy they can or way to involved in being green for the planet (but those people shouldn't by nature even be interested in a tank type water heater) would also have an interest in such a product. Tank type water heater doesn't cost that much to maintain the tank when you aren't ever using any hot water. On top of that losses are only total losses during cooling season or if the tank isn't in a conditioned space (not happening here or you will have frozen pipes in the winter). During heating season those losses just supplement the heating system.

I recently seen a garage door opener with wifi abilities. What is so important about needing wifi to communicate with your garage door? Sure you might be able to remotely open the door from half way around the globe, but how bad is the need to do so? That same GDO I was asked to connect a new "wired wall control" for it, as the old one stopped working. New one didn't work either - problem in the main unit - the old wall control did work on the second door opener they had. What was wrong with the traditional simple normally open contact that we used to put inside the garage as a control? I can understand something with additional security for an outdoor control. I ended up fixing that one with a wall mount wireless controller. Sends same kind of signal as the vehicle remotes, just designed to mount on the wall. Was a lot cheaper then a new circuit board for the door opener.

In a vacation home it can go months unoccupied , why would you want to waste the energy like that?

How about just turning it off? Or is that too simple?
again vacation homes.
Yes, too simple.

When you come back and turn it on again - that is for some reason the time some component will fail.

Everything will fail at some point. I think the benefit is great.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry to hear that.
There are Zwave 30 amp controls , they look like a intermatic timer,
Some from a company called Sinope
There are many.
If you don't already have a home automation platform I would look into one that has features you desire and go with that.

Hummm , Maybe they have a vacation rental , want to turn up the heat so it is ready when a guest arrives.

In a vacation home it can go months unoccupied , why would you want to waste the energy like that?

Everything will fail at some point. I think the benefit is great.
Thing with unoccupied is that things seem to deteriorate pretty fast. I don't care what it is, they just do.

I know people that have second homes just an hour or two away at a lake or river. Close enough they can go nearly every weekend if they want to.

What do they say they do most weekends when they go there? Work on stuff at the "vacation home".

Is that a vacation?

Maybe if you are a banker, insurance agent, real estate agent, or similar and you like to get your hands dirty on the weekend it is. If you are used to getting your hands dirty nearly every day, it is sort of the same 'ol thing you are accustomed to on a daily basis except you aren't getting paid.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Who is kidding who? With any rental property if you are in your right mind you are either a reasonable distance away or you have somebody who is to look after it. That person will open it, close it, clean it and make sure guests are behaving themselves and not trashing the place. So a simple on-off switch to turn the heater off if the place is to be vacant for a length of time and on again when it's rented is just fine.

A vacation property assumes one occupant so it's even simpler. Turn it on when you arrive and off when you leave just like the lights.

I really don't see the need for some Millennial generation toy.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Who is kidding who? With any rental property if you are in your right mind you are either a reasonable distance away or you have somebody who is to look after it. That person will open it, close it, clean it and make sure guests are behaving themselves and not trashing the place. So a simple on-off switch to turn the heater off if the place is to be vacant for a length of time and on again when it's rented is just fine.

A vacation property assumes one occupant so it's even simpler. Turn it on when you arrive and off when you leave just like the lights.

I really don't see the need for some Millennial generation toy.

-Hal
:thumbsup:

Unless you are going to need to shower as soon as you arrive, shouldn't be that big of a deal to turn it on when you get there. Might be other things you turn on as soon as you get there as well (other then lights).

Water heater tank that is already at room temp doesn't take as long to heat to 120-125 deg F as it takes to heat up freshly filled tank of only 55 deg F water either. Half an hour or so you probably can take a shower - might not be able to be a long shower but can have reasonably warm water. Bath is out of the question until tank is much closer to set point, if you want a really warm bath.

JFletcher

Rather than get a Wi-Fi water heater, if I was leaving anywhere for a week, I would buy a water key and shut off the water to the house. I have seen too many places ruined by the tiniest water leaks. The amount of water that can spray out of even a busted toilet supply line is tremendous.

That happened at a hotel I was working at one time ... 3% occupancy, water line busted in a room somewhere between midnight and 2 a.m. ... At 7 a.m. they found it when the first floor hallway was under 2 in of water. between the repair cost and lost revenue for not being able to rent out 14 rooms, that little line breaking probably cost in excess of $100,000.

Wifi water heater... I'm sitting here shaking my head... Seems to me that most water heaters have these little things installed on them from the factory called thermostats that work pretty well.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
:thumbsup:

Unless you are going to need to shower as soon as you arrive, shouldn't be that big of a deal to turn it on when you get there. Might be other things you turn on as soon as you get there as well (other then lights).

Water heater tank that is already at room temp doesn't take as long to heat to 120-125 deg F as it takes to heat up freshly filled tank of only 55 deg F water either. Half an hour or so you probably can take a shower - might not be able to be a long shower but can have reasonably warm water. Bath is out of the question until tank is much closer to set point, if you want a really warm bath.

You obviously have no idea how inept and useless some rental guests are. Also how :cry:would one know if they guest turned the heater off?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You obviously have no idea how inept and useless some rental guests are. Also how :cry:would one know if they guest turned the heater off?

As I said above that's EXACTLY my point! Again, as the owner of a rental house or unit you would be crazy to not have someone working for you (if you aren't close enough yourself) to look after the property whenever guests arrive, leave and during their stay to make sure they abide by the rental agreement and are not trashing the place. No way would I just hand over the keys. If you don't keep an eye on them you get renters throwing wild drunken parties with 100 people destroying the place. Makes your water heater the least of the problem.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
I do, but my comment was on "vacation houses" which is one branch this thread has grown.

If you have rental that changes occupants frequently, you either have a hotel or a property that likely isn't all that nice to begin with. Or both. Making sure you turn the water heater off between guests probably isn't a high concern if it is a fairly nice property.

Guy that I used to live next door to (been about 15 years since I lived there) had the house he lived in, and the house next to it was his parents house when they were alive. He moved into parents house and rented his old house. Was too lazy to manage things though. Had a renter that really trashed the place and he did kick them out. Did he say he was too lazy to manage things? Was mad when he found out after getting utility bills to find out they left hot water running when they left - and the place was right next door to where he lived.:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.