Electrical advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim

Has anyone seen the TV comercial for Ace Hardware? It shows a guy with his hand in a garbage disposal and his wife getting ready to turn on a ceiling fan that he just installed. The commentator asks if you are sure about your wiring expertise, and if not, visit Ace Hardware for advice. My question is what do you all think about all these big homecenters advertising that they can show the div's how to do electrical work? Do they have any liability?

Tim, from Illinois :eek:

iwire

Staff member
Re: Electrical advice?

I wonder that with almost every DIY show, but all of them put a disclaimer at the end that basically says "No mater how bad our advice is it's up to you to check local codes" :mad:

I do not know about in store advice other than someone at this board who worked for Home Depot said he was not allowed to quote codes. :confused:

able123

As I have been a diy for years like many of my friends, I am truly greatful for knowledgeable help. Thats the catch - knowing bad advice from good advice. I always seek a second opinion about one or another thing that might be of question.
It could be ALSO bad if no one were giving advice. What would be worse?

dacreman

Too may times the sales rep are just that, sales reps to push merchandise. The help is vague and due to liability, probably should be. I have gone into too many homes and businesses and had someone show me their electrical handy work and how the local store helped them out. Most of the time, these folks have not learned to respect electricity and why good tradesmen operate the way they do. DIY warehouses must take this in consideration and somehow differentiate when a job is too complex for DIYers. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.