electrical boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me where in the 2002 NEC I can find the article that states all of the mounting holes (the holes on the brackets that mount to a 2x4 usually 2 on the side) must be filled? I have been putting 1 nail on the top and 1 nail on the bottom and I was told that if 4 holes were drilled by the manufactor then all 4 shall have nails in them. What do you guys say??????????/ Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think there is no such rule. The closest things I found, and even they don't address your question, are 314.17(a) and 314.23(B)(1).

Yes!!! But if they use 314 (D) (1) Securly fastened to each other and to the building structure????????? VERY Key word S E C U R L Y. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Mounting holes do not require closure. There was a code change in the 1996 code cycle because some inspectors were making EC's fill the mounting holes with duct seal. This requirement has been moved to here:

110.12(A) Unused Openings. Unused cable or raceway openings in boxes, raceways, auxiliary gutters, cabinets, cutout boxes, meter socket enclosures, equipment cases, or housings shall be effectively closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment. Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm (? in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.

haskindm

The 4 holes were put on the brackets of metal boxes so that you could install them using 2 romex staples. There is no code section that requires all of these holes to be filled if using screws or nails.

electricmanscott

infinity said:
Mounting holes do not require closure. There was a code change in the 1996 code cycle because some inspectors were making EC's fill the mounting holes with duct seal. This requirement has been moved to here:

I think op meant used not filled. Either way someone is thinking waaayyy too hard about this.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was always taught to put three nails in mostly because if you use just the front two hole and the nails aren't secure the box will wiggle. where the third nail kind of helps to hold it back.

But then barbeer could be right too. :D

mdshunk

When you're mounting 4-squares on bar joists with beam clamps, the various holes make mounting the box easier depending on whether you're using 1/2 or 3/4 pipe. Keeps you from making offsets.

gunnysgt68 said:
Can anyone tell me where in the 2002 NEC I can find the article that states all of the mounting holes (the holes on the brackets that mount to a 2x4 usually 2 on the side) must be filled? I have been putting 1 nail on the top and 1 nail on the bottom and I was told that if 4 holes were drilled by the manufactor then all 4 shall have nails in them. What do you guys say??????????/ Thanks

Ya know, I kind of like that rule. I think from now on I am going to require all the bracket holes to be used for securing boxes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.