Electrical Codes/Safety concerns for mobile home construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Most standard shore power receptacles for RV"s are 30 amp 125v or 120/240v 50 amp non-gfi protected outlets, unless your under the new code requirements.

If an ATS was not in play, and you simply unplugged one of these cords (That fed the panel in the concession stand) from the generator and plugged it into one of these standard non-gfi protected receptacles, they would not trip.

Since your indicating that when plugging into shore power it would "Trip the GFI", then, I'm assuming your talking about plugging the feeder cable to the concession stand into a "Shore Power" 120v GFI protected outlet, or, using some type of 30a 125v or 50a 125/240v adapter to be able do so.

JAP>

Regardless if there is gfi protection of a receptacle that this would plug into, it is still a mobile piece of equipment that contains a sub-panel and there-fore the neutral and grounds need to be separated unless the power being supplied is provided onboard.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Regardless if there is gfi protection of a receptacle that this would plug into, it is still a mobile piece of equipment that contains a sub-panel and there-fore the neutral and grounds need to be separated unless the power being supplied is provided onboard.

He did indicate there was onboard power being supplied through a generator where the Neutral and Ground was tied together.

Hence his trouble of tripping the shore power GFI without the proper transfer device.

JAP>

Manufactured home construction/ alterations are governed by the HUD code 24 CFR 3280, which uses 2005 NEC. But each state can modify the requirements. Often they let you use the current NEC where it is more stringent which I personally find less ambiguous and contradictory. The AHJ is a state agency where I live, not county or city. Good luck. Old manufactured homes present unique challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.