Electrical Connection pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Re: Electrical Connection pressure

necessary pressure for copper to copper electrical connection.
? If I were to guess as to what you are referring to that would be dependent upon the terminal selected and the torque value as specified be the terminal manufacturer.
Do you mean (2) copper cables connected end to end? a copper cable terminated in a copper terminal?

kiloamp7

Modern namebrand equipment frequently has the recommended torque values shown on the various instruction stickers & sheets for wire-to-lug, for busbar-to busbar, etc.

NEC Handbook for Art.110 used to have some guidlines in it, maybe it still does.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Here is the actual text of an email I sent to a manufacturer and their reply.

Q: What torque range is suggested for the nut on a XXXXXX?

A: On the threaded stud bolt we recommend to torque until tight and not so tight to strip the threads.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by petersonra:
A: On the threaded stud bolt we recommend to torque until tight and not so tight to strip the threads.
Whats the matter, is your toque wrench missing the not so tight to strip the threads setting? :D

Great tech support. :roll:

templdl

They have to be joking. Or, it may be a typical unqualified person that was hired to fill a seat and answer a phone that doesn't have a clue. What's worse is that the manager/supervisor probably knows even less.
If so, ask them the question that if you tighten it to find out just how tight is, that is to the point where it strips, will the replace the ruined part so that you now know how much to tighten it.
Is this similar to testing a fuse to see where it blows to make sure it works right?

celtic

Originally posted by petersonra:

What the hell kind of answer is that? LMAO.
You get some Paul Bunyon sized man on that...even a 3/8" stud will whimper - BEFORE lunch.

That manufac. gets one of these:
brick.gif

I can only assume another policy of that company is:
"The beatings will continue until moral improves !"
box.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I always thought the correct method to torque was "to tighten until it breaks and backoff a 1/4 turn".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

This is not from some fly-by-night or foreign company either. This came from a mainstream, well known, US supplier of electrical equipment.

I am not all that surprised though. Most of these companies have web sites, but it seems like they often do not have a good way to handle the email that comes there. It's usually better to just call and get an answer, sad to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.