Electrical Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

Can anyone explain what electrical Corona is? I cannot find a good explanation online.

Thanks for the help.

480sparky

Corona is the ionization of the nitrogen in the air, caused by an intense electrical field. Electrical corona can be distinguished from arcing in that corona starts and stops at essentially the same voltage and is invisible during the day and requires darkness to see at night. Arcing starts at a voltage and stops at a voltage about 50% lower and is visible to the naked eye day or night if the gap is large enough (about 5/8" at 3500 volts).

Corona Camera

celtic

You have to search the right term ....Corona Effect.

Here is some to get you started:
Q: What is corona effect?
I have seen in power house that hissing sound often comes mostly from a dam station from high tension line ie 132 Kv. Line and sparks were observed going one place to another place though its length.
------------------------------------------------
A:
When the voltage is high enough, electrons are attracted to ground (at
lower potential) with sufficient energy to ionize air. It is this breakdown
that produces the corona
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00496.htm

Corona Effect occurs when electricity is discharged into the surrounding atmosphere from a high voltage source. When a Wire Marker is placed on a high voltage wire, it can become a focal point for this electrical discharge. The current passing through the Marker can generate enough heat to cause damage to the Marker and subsequently to the wire on which it is mounted.

title.gif

http://www.tanawiremarker.com/corona.htm

tower2.jpg

http://www.seeing-corona.com/UGM2004_3.html

celtic

raider1 said:
I thought that "Corona effect" was the hangover you got after a night of drinking Corona.:D

Chris

You're supoosed to wake up on a beach with a hottie bringing you a bucket of Coronas....if you wake-up with a hangover, you didn't do it right and have to start over again ;)

ghostbuster

corona.jpg

Here is a picture we took of some high voltage suspension hardware tested in a lab (exposed to red light for contrast).There is both positive corona(crackling sounds) and negative corona(hissing sound) coming from this hardware under test .Enjoy :smile:

raider1

Staff member
celtic said:
You're supoosed to wake up on a beach with a hottie bringing you a bucket of Coronas....if you wake-up with a hangover, you didn't do it right and have to start over again ;)

Heck, I must not be doing it right.:D

Chris

480sparky said:
Corona is the ionization of the nitrogen in the air, caused by an intense electrical field. Electrical corona can be distinguished from arcing in that corona starts and stops at essentially the same voltage and is invisible during the day and requires darkness to see at night. Arcing starts at a voltage and stops at a voltage about 50% lower and is visible to the naked eye day or night if the gap is large enough (about 5/8" at 3500 volts).

Corona Camera

Not a big issue but it ionizes ALL gases that the surrounding air is made of. The ionized molecules break all loose or weak chemical bonds and form harmfull compunds - ozone, nitric acid, etc. - that cause insulation breakdown.

smithacetech

raider1 said:
Cool, know where I can get one?:D

Chris

I wouldn't recommend it..After a few drinks someone will get the bright idea to drink out of the shinny, big, bottle & end up getting shocked & ruining their buzz.... Or maybe adding to it.:grin:

cschmid

celtic said:

:-? :-? :-? no beach..... but hottie with nice cool refreshments I got part..

But I guess corona discharge has alot of potential..here is a list from wikipedia..
Corona discharge has a number of commercial and industrial applications.

Removal of unwanted electric charges from the surface of aircraft in flight and thus avoiding the detrimental effect of uncontrolled electrical discharge pulses on the performance of avionic systems
Manufacture of ozone
Scrubbing particles from air in air-conditioning systems (see Electrostatic precipitator)
Removal of unwanted volatile organics, such as chemical pesticides, solvents, chemical weapons agents, from the atmosphere
Surface Treatment of polymer films to improve compatibility with adhesives or printing inks.
Photocopying
Air ionisers perhaps benefiting health
Kirlian photography uses photons produced by the discharge to expose photographic film.
EHD thrusters, Lifters, and other ionic wind devices
Nitrogen laser
Surface Treatment for Tissue Culture (Polystyrene)
Ionization of a gaseous sample for subsequent analysis in a mass spectrometer or an ion mobility spectrometer
Coronas can be used to generate charged surfaces, which is an effect used in electrostatic copying (photocopying). They can also be used to remove particulate matter from air streams by first charging the air, and then passing the charged stream through a comb of alternating polarity, to deposit the charged particles onto oppositely charged plates.

The free-radicals and ions generated in corona reactions can be used to scrub the air of certain noxious products, through chemical reactions, and can be used to produce ozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.