electrical estimator

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped 1

hello everyone i am interested in becoming a electrical est i was wondering if anyone knows of any qualifactions or any schooling i should be looking at getting involved in. i have time in the trade but it is all field exp also i am 37 yrs old do you think it is beyond my time? thanks in advance for all replies :smile::grin:

Hello Zapped 1,
I would say it is never beyond the time of an individual whom is dedicated and willing to learn something new, even if if is from a young pup fresh out of school. Charge in full steam ahead and never be afraid to admit your mistakes and claim your victories. Honesty among your peers will earn their respect in circles you want to be a part of.
A lot of estimators claim no field experiance of their own and I have had some of them tell me I would never be a good estimator because I DO have field experiance. Truth is you are going into a different path where your field experiance might tell you to do one thing but estimators logic will tell you that if you do you will never win the job. LEARN TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE and where to apply both strengths and you will be successful.
Take the time to analyze why you lost your bids, possibly re-estimate some of your companies successful work (on your own time) and review it with your chief, owner or even a PM and find out how you compare. The best schooling that I can think of is the schooling your going to get when you screw up a bid and unfortunately that school is in session often.

Good Luck.

Dr.Sparks

Learn manual take-offs prior to using software estimating programs, follow up with primes and try to get placements as to where your bid was..develop a simple database spreadsheet tracking the projections versus the actuals on any completed projects. Become as friendly possible, while maintaining business ethics* with your vendors...(They can help you with material counts when your brain is wet noodled from $2M already in estimates for the week and its only 10:00a on Tues):rolleyes:And ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE your paperwork!! Findable files, roll-up the prints with the letters facing you...this is very important!!! After it becomes old hat and someone..other than you(Because your hot stuff now...)unrolls a print on your take-off bench and it curls up into your face like a cobra and the third book that you had to put on the corners doesnt keep it down.....you will remember this advice! LOL!!

BAHTAH

Estimator

Estimator

I am 63 years old and have been in the business since I was 17. I started estimating at the age of 23 and over the years have worked as an estimator for myself, other electrical contractors and in the wholesale end of the business. If you are currently working for a contractor you should approach him/her and let them know this is the direction you would like to go. You need projects to estimate and they need to be real projects. Many large firms have estimating departments so several people are working on different aspects of the same project. In my opinion there is nothing that takes the place of your field experience. As an estimator you need to know the codes, national and local. You need to know how the labor units apply to the people who will be doing the work so the labor at one company may not be the same as at another. You need to know how the installation will be done (field experience) and once you have estimated a project you need to always be open to your field people for any cost saving methods that will help a project. You will always be learning about new materials and methods and using them to help you get the next job. There should be some instructors out there that offer estimating programs and there are also estimating computer programs but all of these are starting points. I think the best approach for you may be to seek a company with a large enough estimating department that you could get in the door and see what it is like, this way you are not jumping in without help. It will take constant study, code, math, labor hours, labor factors, materials and new products that become available to keep you current in the estimating field. You need to go to trade shows, take code classes to stay current, establish relationships with Engineers, suppliers and manufactures reps. Estimating is a team effort but the bottm line is, its your final number that you will have to live with when the estimate is finished. I will stop now although I think this is a subject that could fill a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.