electrical main service

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphonse

what is the code on a residential service ,where the panel will be located more than ten feet,once entering the house.do the neutrals and groundshave to be separated.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Distance into the house is not the issue. You bond the ground and neutral bars to each other at the location of the service disconnecting means. Generally, in a residential service that would be the main (and often the only) circuit breaker panel. But if there is another panel sub-fed from the first, you keep the neutrals and grounds separated from each other.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chances are you cannot run 10' into the house without having an OCPD on the outside.

Dave_PE

A lot of jurisdictions consider an underground service lateral running below the building foundation to still be "outside" the house......as long as you have a MCB at the panel, then no exterior disconnect switch is needed. Fire dept. not too happy about it, but the AHJ allows it.....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dave_PE said:
A lot of jurisdictions consider an underground service lateral running below the building foundation to still be "outside" the house......as long as you have a MCB at the panel, then no exterior disconnect switch is needed. Fire dept. not too happy about it, but the AHJ allows it.....

True, but the OP did say:
where the panel will be located more than ten feet,once entering the house

danickstr

This had me wondering if the metal meter box has to have a ground wire on it, esp if it is connected by pvc, or if that is not necessary. i have not put one on in the past, but wasn't sure if this was still the case.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
danickstr said:
This had me wondering if the metal meter box has to have a ground wire on it, esp if it is connected by pvc, or if that is not necessary. i have not put one on in the past, but wasn't sure if this was still the case.

I am assuming you are talking about an EGC.
In a single phase service you only need 3 conductors between the meter base and the service panel. Two ungrounded conductors and a grounded (neutral) conductor. No EGC is required.

flash hazard

danickstr said:

POCO installed in CT will not allow GEC through meter unless an OCPD is in it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.