Electrical Maintenance program

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie tuna

Re: Electrical Maintenance program

when excersizing the generator(s) i always recommend (if possible) the excersize of the automatic transfer switch --- weekly. an example of one office tower we work in has 26 transfer switches and five emergency generators. their program functions each transfer switch once per month. the generators are operated from a different transfer switch -- weekly under load. we found the transfer switches needed excersize to keep their timers and auxillary switches in operating condition. just running the generators is of little use!!!

zog

"Besides, NETA really knows how to throw a party"

Rick, you should have been in New Orleans last year!

dave_asdf

as far as running the generator unloaded monthly, i stand by my original statement with the disclaimer it's a matter of opinion. Ask your generator tech when he comes out for scheduled maintenance, every tech that i have asked recommended the test run for various reasons.

rick hart

This taken from NFPA 110- Standard for Emergency and Standby Power systems:

8.4.2* Diesel generator sets in service shall be exercised at least once monthly, for a minimum of 30 minutes, using one of the following methods:

(1) Loading that maintains the minimum exhaust gas temperatures as recommended by the manufacturer.

(2) Under operating temperature conditions and at not less than 30 percent of the EPS nameplate kW rating.

(3) If the engine cannot be loaded as required in (2), the engine shall be operated until the water temperature and the oil pressure have stabilized and then the test shall be terminated before the 30 minute time period expires.

I admit that these rules apply to legally required standby systems and may not be applicable to a generator supporting a craft mart but, that does not alter that diesels must run hot or they tend to gunk up- not with carbon but with tar.

If there is a generator tech that has a seemingly differing opinion concerning diesels running unloaded the only reason I can think of would be that there just is not enough load to hit 30%, as in Daves case. Then yes, run them unloaded to make sure they will work and until the temeratures stabilize then shut the beast off. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.